Requisition Number: 502852
Contract Type: Fixed Term
First Quantum Minerals Ltd. has grown from a small mineral operation in Zambia into a multinational mining business in less than two decades, with a global portfolio of copper and nickel assets in Europe, Africa, Australia and South America. This phenomenal growth is down to FQM people who have strived to be Bolder, Smarter and Driven in everything they do.
In March 2013, First Quantum Minerals acquired Inmet Mining Corporation, a Canadian-based mining company primarily producing copper and zinc from mines in Finland, Spain and Turkey, with also a major copper deposit under development in Panama, known as Cobre Panama. The combination of the First Quantum and Inmet assets has created one of the world’s leading copper producers with a geographically diversified portfolio of high-quality operations and development projects in eight countries across five continents.
With a strategic plan to produce more than 1 million tonnes per annum of copper within five years, the Company is poised to become the largest, widely-held pure-play copper producer and one of the top five copper producers in the world.
This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Safe operation of the flotation and reagent mixing and dosing processes and ensuring world class practice is maintained;
- Active contribution to the overall growth of the KMP primary safety, production and cost objectives;
- Meet or exceed quarterly and annual production targets whilst achieving core KPIs;
- Provide daily operational support in the form of flotation spot checks, reagent automation usage, expert utilisation, overflows control, etc. and to ensure daily flotation recoveries are achieved.
- Provide the strategy for flotation configuration, debottlenecking and reagent usage.
- Liaise and communicate verbally and in writing with the Mining, Geology, and Engineering departments to ensure smooth communication regarding blending, grade control and maintenance of key equipment.
- Propose and direct investigations into flotation operational bottlenecks in order to recommend action and, where appropriate, adopt new scientific techniques and technology to improve float efficiency and reagent usage.
- Initiate float sampling surveys, and assist the development of model/s to demonstrate how improvement in concentrate quality can be achieved, and when displayed pictorially, usable by floatation Operators.
- Direct, motivate and develop subordinate metallurgists, supervisors and technicians in order for them to make an effective contribution to the department’s production targets.
- Initiate cost initiative/s were applicable within the flotation processes.
- Accountable for reagent stocks monitoring and inventory management.
- Accountable for the supervision and compliance of the reagents operations team
- Relieve the Concentrator Manager as and when required
- Any other duties as required, and as directed by the Concentrator Manager.
- Degree in metallurgy or relevant discipline or qualification acceptable to become a member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia as per Act No.27 of 1992.
- Post graduate qualification in Flotation would be advantageous.
- Computer literate with good MS excel, Word, and Power point skills.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in base metal concentrator processing, including large scale processing plants
- Must have managed, organised or supervised high performance teams
- A track record of continuous improvement;
- Must be able to understand in detail the technical complexities of the KMP flotation circuit.
- Experience with reagents management would be advantageous
Relishes leading; takes unpopular stands if necessary; encourages direct and tough debate but isn’t afraid to end it and move on; is looked to for direction in a crisis; faces adversity head on; energised by tough challenges. Relates well to all kinds of people – up and down, and sideways, inside and outside the organisation; builds appropriate rapport, builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse high tension situations comfortably.
Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can respond well to a changing business environment; can multitask yet prioritise to complete the task at hand; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty; is entrepreneurial, motivated to achieve superior results aligning interest of stakeholders.
Action oriented and high performance. Full of energy, relishing challenge; acting with appropriate planning; seizing opportunities and working with others. Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently a top performer; adding value through operations, functions, exploration and projects steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Valid driving license
- Willing to work weekends when required
- Willing to relocate and adapt to change
- Willing to take additional responsibilities
- Willing to take the time required to complete tasks effectively
Beware of imposters who call applicants purporting to be HR Officers and requesting money for work. First Quantum Minerals does not request applicants to pay any fees for possible placement within FQM in Zambia. Please report any activities of this nature to the Zambian Police and Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), and in addition call and inform FQM Security at Kansanshi on 0966154417 and +260 212 658444.
Advertised: FLE Standard Time
Applications close: FLE Standard Time