MARYBEGG COMMUNITY CLINIC
POSITION: PHARMACIST (2)
LOCATION: KANSANSHI MINE HOSPITAL, TRIDENT TOWN CLINIC
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Our Pharmacists work closely with medical and nursing staff to ensure that patients receive the best medication, advising on the selection, dose and administration route. They are experts in the field of Pharmacy practice and are responsible for the efficient day-to-day operation of the hospital/clinic pharmacy.
- Ensure that MBCC policies and procedures, and local regulations relating to pharmacovigilance, prescribing, dispensing, recall, expiration and disposal of medications, and clinical consumables are adhered to at all times.
- Assess the identity, strength and purity of medications.
- Provide information and advice regarding drug interactions, side effects, dosage and proper medication storage.
- Engage in therapeutic drug monitoring, dose calculation and adjustment to fit patient needs.
- Ensure that patient prescriptions are accurate, legible and content appropriate.
- Manage ARVs logistics and information systems, dispense ARVs and offer adherence counselling to patients on HAART.
- Provide patient education on the proper use of devices such as epinephrine injection pens, asthma ventilators, diabetes blood sugar monitor etc.
- Ensure that all expiry dates for medications and disposables are checked monthly and that drugs are used on a first in first out (FIFO) principle.
- Plan, implement, and maintain procedures for mixing, packaging, and labeling pharmaceuticals, according to policy and legal requirements, to ensure quality, security, and proper disposal.
- Compound and dispense medications as prescribed by doctors and dentists, by calculating, weighing, measuring, and mixing ingredients, or oversee these activities being performed.
- Ensure that all expired and disposables are disposed off according to standard operating procedure.
- Maintain storage and cold chain of all refrigerated medications.
- Order and manage of Controlled drugs/Opioids/Narcotics according to the Dangerous Drugs Act.
- Maintain a register of all dangerous drugs and conduct a two person level count every day.
- Pharmacy storage areas are maintained at an appropriate temperature and are always clean and properly organised.
- Ensure that universal infection control precautions are maintained throughout the pharmacy and stock room.
- Publish educational information for other pharmacists, doctors, nurses and/or patients.
- Assist with appropriate pharmaceutical treatments/ medications for patients requiring emergency medical evacuation services.
- Will be a member of the disaster management group supporting the clinic in the event of a mass casualty incident.
- Will help manage the essential drug list and other pharmaceutical advice where necessary
- Coordinate activities of the drugs and therapeutics
- Ensure compliance for other duties and responsibilities as may be required from the Chief Medical Officer and/or hospital/clinic manager from time to time within your scope of practice.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS, TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
- Grade 12 Certificate with a merit or above in English.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree in Pharmacy.
- Three years’ work experience
- Post Graduate qualifications an advantage but not essential.
- Must be registered and licenced with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ).
HOW TO APPLY
State the position in the subject line of the email. Only a detailed Curriculum Vitae should be sent to email protected (we will ask for original certificates and registrations if called for interview). Please ensure that you mention www.zambia.jobsportal-career.com as the source of this job advertisement.
Closing date: 7th May 2018.
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be shortlisted and contacted. If you do not hear from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.