The Person – In – Charge is responsible with the safe, efficient and productive supervision and implementation of drilling program(s) within the surface mining operation. The incumbent performs all duties for this position in accordance with Company Policies, Management Systems, and Standard Operating Procedures
- Implementing drilling operations including alignment, realignment, positioning and repositioning of drill rigs, on the area of responsibility and/ or shot, and ensuring that they are completed as per schedule
- Planning, organising and coordinating drill rig operations and operators
- Make regular reports to the drilling Shift Boss on the progress of operations
- Implementing safety measures and regularly monitoring them for irregularities
- Monitor all the drilling operations and make decisions regarding continuation or abandonment of the drill rig in extreme weather conditions
- Supervising the systematic documentation of the drill rig operations, conditions and consumables (bits, hummers, drill rods, danger tapes) by Drillers
- Mark patterns, locations, and depths of charge holes for drilling including bracketing etc, and issue drilling instructions
- Instruct the measuring of depths of drilled blast holes, using weighted tape measures and ensure re-drills as necessary
- Examine drilling areas to determine amounts and kinds of consumables (bits, hummers, drill rods, water etc) needed and to ensure that safety laws are observed.
- Organise documentation of PPE issues and re-issues as may be necessary for subordinates
- To orient, develop and motivate subordinates (Drillers, Samplers etc), and render technical support and guidance with the aim to promote team spirit.
- Participate in recommending or executing personnel actions, such as discipline
- Minimum Grade 12 Certificate
- Certificate in Mining / Mineral Science or any related Course.
- First Aid certificate holder
- Holder of a Blasting License
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in an open pit mining environment.
- Familiarity with the use of tools, fixtures and equipment for blasting aids
How to Apply
To apply for this job please visit www.first-quantum.com.