POSITION: PHARMACY TECHNOLOGIST (1)
LOCATION: MARY BEGG HEALTH SERVICES – SOLWEZI KMH
KEY ROLE ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Carry out day-to-day pharmacy operations such as stocking and dispensing.
- Protect and maintain patient confidentiality at all times in keeping with the MBHS Patient Confidentiality Policy.
- Ensure that MBHS protocols and procedures and local regulations relating to pharmacovigilance, dispensing, recall, expiration and disposal of medications and clinical consumables are adhered to at all times
- Ensure inventory of drugs stocked in the storeroom is accurate and applicable using Mary Begg Essential Drug List (EDL) and Essential Consumables List (ECL). Where discrepancies are found, timely reports are to be prepared, together with recommendations on how to handle the issue.
- Attend regular clinic meetings and medical service department meetings in the absence of the Pharmacist to report on and discuss issues relating to improvements of the pharmacy services.
- Be available for duty as rostered for normal shifts, on call shifts (defined as a standby period out of normal clinic hours), weekends and in case of emergencies.
- Maintain and promote international standards of good pharmaceutical practice at all times.
- Receive written prescriptions and verify that the information contained is complete and accurate.
- Dispense, in accordance with established procedures, medication prescribed to patients by the MBHS medical team.
- Ensure that all patients are advised comprehensively of the actions of their prescribed medication, including correct dosage, side effects and signs of sensitivity.
- Maintain approved storage of all medications in stock. Ensure all stock orders are prepared on time and with proper authorization.
- Ensure inventory of drugs stocked in the various site locations is accurate and applicable using Mary Begg EDL and ECL.
- Conduct stock takes every month or more frequently as required and as directed by the Procurement Department or the Clinic Manager.
- Ensure that maximum minimum levels are maintained and reviewed each quarter or more frequently as required by the Clinic Manager/CMO.
- Ensure new stock orders are checked on arrival and packed away appropriately. This will involve coordination with the logistics group and procurement team.
- Ensure all expiry dates for medications and consumables are checked monthly and that drugs are used on a first in first out (FIFO) principle.
- Ensure that all expired or close to expiry drugs and consumables are disposed of according to company policy.
- Maintain storage and cold chain of all refrigerated medications. Record fridge temperatures daily. Clear the fridge weekly and defrost monthly.
- Assist in fulfilling orders for other departments and arranging shipment.
- Assist in the development, review and revision of policies and procedures.
- Assist in the training and orientation of new personnel.
- Actively participate in staff meetings. In the absence of the pharmacist, organize a weekly pharmacy meeting with the senior doctor, unit leaders and nurses and CM (optional).
- Be a member of the disaster management group supporting the clinic in the event of a mass casualty incident (in the absence of the pharmacist).
- Ensure that all pharmaceutical products (medications/ consumables/ devices) are correctly itemized on the patient’s charge sheet.
- Prepare and submit monthly report of levels and drug usage to the Clinic Manager. If other reports are necessary, actively prepare and plan for its completion in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all pharmaceutical equipment is maintained in good working order and that a report is given to the hospital/clinic manager when equipment needs to be upgraded or replaced.
- Comply with any other duties and responsibilities as may be required from the Chief Medical Officer, Pharmacist and Hospital/Clinic Manager from time to time and within your scope of practice.
Qualifications, Experience & Skills required
- Must have a Diploma in pharmacy technology or country equivalent
- Must be registered with the Health Professions Council of Zambia (HPCZ) and have a valid license to practice.
- Strong Communication. Interpersonal & Influential Skill
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Fluent in local languages relevant to the local community
- Counselling Skills
- High degree of IT literacy
- 3 years’ experience in pharmacy both retail, wholesale and hospital
HOW TO APPLY
Only detailed Curriculum Vitae should be sent to marybeggclinic.bamboohr.com/jobs. (we will ask for original certificates and registrations if called for interview).
Closing date: 17th September 2020.
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be shortlisted and contacted