Open Window University is a newly formed specialist university, with a focus on the Creative Arts including the moving image, photography, game and digital design. Fully accredited with the Higher Education Authority, we are striving to be a forward-thinking voice for creativity within Zambia and across the continent, with a strong emphasis on relevant Afrocentric practise. We value passionate people that are willing to grow with us and are ready to invest in the dynamic future of our institution.
We are requiring a dedicated and experienced Librarian to join our Creative Arts academic institution. Your responsibilities will include providing a coherent structure for both the physical and digital library resources, supervising the various academic departments and their specialist academic resource needs, and establishing fertile ground for Postgraduate Research. You should be able source relevant materials that will assist the university in become a leading voice in the Creative Arts within Africa.
Responsibilities and Duties (As stipulated in the Higher Education Act No. 4 of 2013)
- Selecting, developing, cataloguing and classifying library resources
- Using library systems and specialist computer applications
- Management of library staff, including recruitment, training and/or supervisory duties
- Liaising with departmental academic staff, external organisations and suppliers
- Ensuring that library services meet the needs of specialist groups of users within the institution
- Managing Library and Research Unit budgets and resources
- Supporting independent research and learning
- Developing IT facilities associated with the establishment of a digital library
- Assisting students to use computer equipment, conduct literature searches etc
Qualifications and Skills
- A Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies or related field
- A postgraduate qualification in electronic and/or digital information management will be an advantage
- Strong IT skills and familiarity with the use of databases and the internet
- Teamworking and management skills
- Assessment of resources and library users’ needs
- Presentation and verbal communication skills
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience with subject-specific knowledge
To apply please send your CV with a motivational cover letter to the address below.
Short-listed applicants will be notified by e-mail.
firstname.lastname@example.org / Attention: Open Window University Board / Application Deadline: 30 September 2020