- Company: Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) is a semi-autonomous Think-Tank under the Ministry of National Development Planning (MNDP) whose mandate is conduct socio-economic research and policy analysis in order to provide evidence-based policy advice to the Government, the private sector, civil society and other stakeholders in Zambia. ZIPAR is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the following position:
1. Job Purpose: The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer and Senior Researcher whose purpose is to provide technical leadership and oversee the management of the Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) in order to ensure the achievement of its strategic objectives and mandate.
2. Reporting: The Executive Director reports to the Board of ZIPAR.
3. Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee economic research and policy analysis to support the policy process within the framework of national development plans in order to inform evidence-based policy decision making in Zambia;
- Identify and implement a coherent research and policy analysis agenda and ensure widespread dissemination of timely and simplified findings to all stakeholders;
- Build and maintain relationships with ZIPAR stakeholders to ensure increased uptake of research and analysis products and services;
- Promote and strengthen partnerships and networking efforts and provide a platform for collaborative research and advocacy;
- Build and mentor a team of researchers by leading them in ground-breaking works and providing an enabling environment that technically empowers them;
- Oversee the development of capacity among stakeholders in to order strengthen their engagement in the policy process;
- Co-ordinate the development and implementation of result-focused strategic and short-term plans including budgets;
- Oversee financial and human resources of ZIPAR by ensuring appropriate delegation, accountability, responsibility, guidance and supervision through effective controls for monitoring and reporting; performance management; motivation of staff and other measures to ensure optimal utilization of these resources;
- Coordinate the design of financial sustainability plans and lead the financial resource mobilization drive through innovative approaches;
- Market ZIPAR through effective communication and outreach and growing positive public relations of the Institute with stakeholders and beneficiaries;
- Oversee effectively the provision of secretariat services to the ZIPAR Board and its meetings in order to facilitate smooth conduct of Board business.
4. Qualifications and work experience
- A Master’s degree in Economics or close related field with minimum 10 years post-qualifying experience in government, university, research institution or international organization. A PhD will be an added advantage. Minimum 5 years of experience should be at senior management level;
- Knowledge and experience with government policy formulation process in order to provide requisite managerial guidance and contribute to substantive output and intellectual reputation of the Institute
- Experience and ability to engage in high level policy spaces that will enable him/her to communicate effectively with top officials in the government, non-government, private and international sectors;
- Experience in institutional grant and proposal writing with evidence of successful grants and bids from government, local and international cooperating partners;
- Possess experience in people management and growing people and organizations through effective team work.
5. Other requirements, skills and job competencies
- The Executive Director must have flexibility to work with minimal support and be used to delivering high quality outputs to tight deadlines and targets;
- Must possess excellent oral and writing skills;
- Ability to utilize modern information technologies in communication and in day-to-day work;
- Must be of good standing and repute in society with high integrity, transparent and accountability virtues;
- Must have excellent inter-personal communication and teamwork skills.
Interested and eligible candidates should submit their application letters, CVs and supporting documentation to: The Chairperson, Recruitment Committee, Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research, P.O. Box 50782, Lusaka. Physical Address: Ministry of National Development Buildings, Corner of John Mbita and Nationalist Roads, Lusaka. Or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.