- Company: SEC Zambia
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Zambia
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is a body corporate established by an Act of Parliament, the Securities Act, No. 41 of 2016, with an objective of inter alia regulating and developing the Zambian Capital Markets. The SEC is responsible for the supervision and development of the Capital Markets in Zambia as well as the licensing of financial intermediaries, the registration of securities to be issued and the authorization of market transactions.
SEC, an equal opportunity employer, invites applications from suitably qualified Zambians to apply for the following vacant position:
DIRECTORATE OF ENFORCEMENT AND LEGAL SERVICES
LEGAL OFFICER (1 Position)
GRADE SEC 04
To provide support to the Directorate of Enforcement and Legal Services in matters relating to enforcement of the Securities Act, and the broader Law of the land to protect investors and the market, and management of the legal reform process, including introduction of new legislative measures in the Zambian Capital Markets. To assist in provision of professional legal advice and counsel to the SEC Management and the Board and of efficient and effective legal services to the Commission
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Legal and Legislative Drafting: harmonize the Zambian Capital Markets legislation with local, regional and international legislation and drafts legal instruments required to effectively implement the requirements of the Securities Act;
- Legal interpretation: interprets key statute such as the Securities Act, Regulations and other pieces of key legislation, which have a bearing in carrying out the SEC Mandate
- Enforcement: investigates all cases of infringement of the Securities Law are and recommends appropriate enforcement action
- Litigation: undertakes research on existing and potential litigation as referred as well as general legal research and undertakes litigation on behalf of the Commission.
- Confidentiality: Maintains strict confidentiality of and does not disclose pertinent information obtained in the course of employment.
- Reports: Prepares monthly, quarterly and other periodical departmental reports and submits them to the supervisor as scheduled.
Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12 School Certificate
- Bachelor of Laws Degree (LLB)
- Advocate of the High Court of Zambia and Member of LAZ with at least 3 experience years post Qualifying to the bar.
Key Knowledge and Attributes
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the Securities Law
- Excellent Knowledge of High Court and Supreme Court Rules
- Good knowledge of Zambian Employment law
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- High level of integrity and confidentiality
- Good Communication skills- both written and oral
- Basic computer skills
- Qualification and Competence in legislative drafting is an added advantage
A signed application letter, copies of academic and professional certificates, a detailed curriculum vitae (CV), daytime contact telephone numbers and three (3) traceable references should be emailed to Info@seczambia.org.zm and clearly referred to as “Application for Legal Officer” should reach the undersigned not later than 30th November 2020. Kindly note that hard copy applications will not be accepted.
Women are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.