- Company: Malaria No More UK
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Reports to: Africa Director
Location: Based in Zambia – working from home with travel / Nairobi Office
Salary: US$46200 per annum + benefits
Hours: Full time – 35 hours Mondays – Fridays
About Malaria No More UK
Malaria has been described as the oldest killer disease in history; even now, despite recent progress, it claims the life of a child every two minutes. Malaria No More UK is part of a global movement that is determined to make this the generation that beats this killer. To realise this vision, we need to mobilise governments, influencers, businesses and the public, inspiring them to commit funds, energy and resources to ending deaths from malaria and wiping out the disease for good.
Malaria No More UK’s mission is to catalyse and inspire the global partnerships, leadership, and financing to make malaria no more in a generation. MNMUK delivers ground breaking mass communication and advocacy campaigns on behalf of the global malaria community. MNMUK is seeking to expand its efforts beyond the global stage to help galvanise and support national and regional efforts to drive attention, resources, and action to end malaria in Africa. MNMUK will bring fresh impetus in Africa at the heart of the malaria fight in a phased approach ensuring regional learnings are cascaded across to maximise effective action.
This is a new role, under the MNMUK Africa workstream, whose key responsibility will be to support the establishment of local, context-specific initiatives driven by local requirements and priorities. The envisaged in-country engagement model will include working with local partners through sub-granting and capacity building that will see successful in-country advocacy and communications mechanisms established. This approach will combine creativity, digital technology and political and public champions and will embrace intersectionality in areas such as climate, youth, gender and education.
The Africa Programme Manager will contribute significantly to MNMUK’s strategic Africa vision development and execution. They will support the identification, development and execution of strategic, context specific, advocacy and communications plans and activities for MNMUK and will provide appropriate support and advice in these areas to local partners across the chosen focus countries, support annual work planning and will be responsible for maintaining key partnership relationships.
This role comes at a time when the world’s attention and efforts are drawn to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the novel vaccine deployment in a response to the single largest public health and economic crisis of a generation. The ideal candidate will therefore be able to operate in this context, be someone who is creative, innovative, able to manage activities in a rapidly changing environment and have excellent experience in networking and government and external relations. The Africa Programme Manager will report to the Africa Director and support them with assigned financial, administrative and operational functions.
African Advocacy Activities
- Work collaboratively with the Africa Director, team members located in Africa and the UK and key partners to achieve Africa workstream objectives and deliverables, including supporting strategic project planning and communications design and development across focus countries
- Maintain strong working partnerships with Ministries of Health, National Malaria Control Programmes and other local and international malaria partners, connecting in-country activities to global communication and advocacy efforts
- Identify strategic moments and opportunities to influence target stakeholders
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies to mobilise political and financial goodwill for malaria control and elimination at national and sub-national levels
African Communications Activities
- Work with the communications team in the designing and implementation of inspirational communications campaigns within country contexts
- Work with the communications team to disseminate media distribution for campaigns, including mass media and community-based approaches while maintaining and expanding social media presence of MNMUK’s work and campaigns
- Support and work with the Talent Management Team in the effective engagement of local/national talent/champions
- Develop strong relationships with relevant media and secure press coverage of events and campaign developments
- Develop and implement malaria advocacy and communications capacity building activities for key partners
- Event planning for various MNMUK supported functions
- Support the development of monitoring and evaluation activities of programme interventions
- Prepare donor and stakeholder reports
- Undertake relevant budget development, monitoring and management
- Support MNMUK fundraising activities including proposal writing
- Line management
Qualifications, skills and experience
- Vast experience in advocacy and communications particularly in management of national and regional programmes.
- Ability to interact with and lead a broad range of governmental and non-governmental actors and institutions across sectors
- Strong skills and experience in all aspects of programme cycle management – design and development, implementation and monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience working with governments and funding partners
- Demonstrated experience in managing budgets and ensuring financial compliance with donor contracts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Lived malaria experience
- Experience working in Africa both at a national and regional level
- A national or resident of Kenya or Zambia
- Knowledge of health policy and practice in Africa
- Experience and technical knowledge in malaria and/or infectious disease programming
- Proficiency in other relevant languages
- Strong leadership, communications, and interpersonal skills
- Track record of strong decision-making skills, taking initiative and follow up
- Superior time management skills and ability to work in a complex environment with multiple and competing tasks
- Team player with the ability to interact and communicate skilfully both internally and externally
MNMUK recognises the value of a team in which people from diverse backgrounds are able to introduce fresh ideas and contribute to delivering our mission to make Malaria No More. Candidates from historically marginalised or underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply
This job description and person specification is a statement of requirements at the time of writing and is not contractual or exhaustive. It should not be seen as precluding future changes after appointment to this role and may be amended over time in consultation with the Director
Staff benefits include:
- 10% employer pension contributions
- 28 days’ annual leave plus public holiday days in the postholders country of residence Private medical insurance may be available for non-UK residents depending on the postholders country of residence
- Continuing personal development opportunities
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Closing Date : 16th April, 2021.