- Company: Copperbelt University
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kitwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research, Innovation, Industrialisation and Consultancy as a service to the nation. The University has embarked on a number of commercial projects throughout its various campuses and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment into the following positions on specific projects.
FISHERIES AND AQUACULTURE TECHNICIAN – 01 POSITION
The Fisheries and Aquaculture Technician help with coordinating the daily activities in fish pond management and aquaculture activities. The role will serve as a lead worker, support and perform the daily fish management in ponds provide technical assistance concerning fisheries management to faculty and students
The Fisheries and Aquaculture Technician will report to the Head of Department for Zoology and Aquatic Sciences attached to the Project.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
- Oversee the daily operations and maintenance of fish ponds, fish management and related facilities
- Design, construct and maintain fish production systems and equipment
- Assist students and faculty with classes and projects; and maintain a proper inventory of livestock, feed, tools, and supplies; perform other related duties.
- Perform and direct others in the routine health care, feeding breeding and harvest of all fish; works directly with fisheries experts in the School and veterinarians to provide and administer prescribed treatments.
- Collect and organize fish data collected when managing fish in the ponds and frequently analyse the quality of water in the ponds to ensure proper disease management
- Use appropriate feed and feeding practices.
- Support aquaculture fish rearing activities including feeding, grading, sampling, harvesting, sorting, handling, and transporting fish. Monitor the status of facility systems and equipment.
- Assist in the maintenance and cleaning of systems and tanks.
- Make regular facility inspections including, for example, pumps, motors, blowers, diffusers, drains, tanks, filters, feeders, and related equipment.
- Monitor and maintain water quality levels. Record findings and adjustments made. Respond appropriately and immediately to emergencies
- Monitor and report fish diseases to the Head of Department for Zoology and Aquatic Sciences
- Ensure the daily compliance policies are followed, but not limited to compliance with the state, security protocols, access protocols and dress code.
- Develop and Implement the annual work plans in line with the Departmental and University strategic plan.
- Grade Twelve Certificate with five credits including English and Mathematics
- Diploma in Fisheries/ Aquaculture from a recognised institution
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience
Required Attributes and Skills
- Ability to work both in a team and independently
- A multitasker, with the ability to work on several requests simultaneously without losing focus
- Good communications skills, proactive, problem-solving, time management, discretion and confidentiality are essential attributes
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Must have entrepreneurial skills and experience
- Must possess an inquisitive and creative mind
- Ability to build good relationships. There will be frequent contact with internal and external people, either face to face or by telephone or email
- Strong team player
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, etc.)
Individuals meeting the above requirements should submit their letters of applications, accompanied by detailed CVs and copies of academic and professional certificates. Applicants are to include three (03) names and addresses of referees, two of whom should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Electronic applications should be emailed to email@example.com and physical applications to:
Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
The closing date is Thursday 2nd April 2021.