- Company: Copperbelt University
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kitwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research, Innovation, Industrialisation and Consultancy as a service to the nation. The University has embarked on a number of commercial projects throughout its various campuses and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment into the following positions on specific projects.
LIVESTOCK TECHNICIAN – 01 POSITION
The Livestock Technician will help with coordinating the daily activities in animal management. The Technician’s main duty will be to efficiently and effectively care for livestock to ensure they are at optimum health to provide high-quality products to our clients.
The Livestock Technician will report to the Head of Department for Zoology and Aquatic Sciences (ZAS)
Main Duties/ Responsibilities
- Oversee the daily operations and maintenance of the livestock and related facilities
- Design, construct and maintain livestock production systems and equipment
- Serve as a lead worker; assist students and faculty with classes and projects
- Maintain a proper inventory of livestock, feed, tools, and supplies
- To support and perform the daily care of the livestock; provide work direction to the students; provides technical assistance concerning livestock management to faculty and students
- Perform and direct others in the routine health care, feeding, watering, breeding and harvest of all livestock; work directly with livestock specialist and veterinarians to provide and administer prescribed treatments.
- Operate, maintain and repair a variety of small tools and large equipment, such as tagging, docking and breeding tools.
- Implement and maintain pasture management plans that include irrigation, fertilization and weed control procedures.
- Provide laboratory and classroom assistance concerning livestock management to faculty and students.
- Evaluate livestock for training, class utilization, purchase or donation.
- Maintain record-keeping systems, including livestock inventory, feed records, breeding and health records.
- Provide technical support, technical information and serve as a resource for livestock sales, livestock transport, public tours and department activities.
- Coordinate assistance from approved livestock service vendors, such as veterinarians and feed suppliers.
- Monitor and Report diseases to the HOD -ZAS
- Ensure the daily compliance policies are followed, but not limited to compliance with the state, security protocols, access protocols and dress code.
- Develop and Implement the annual work plans in line with the Departmental and University strategic plan.
- Grade Twelve Certificate with five credits including English and Mathematics
- Diploma in Animal Science/ Agriculture from a recognised institution
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience
Required Attributes and Skills
- A multitasker, with the ability to work on several requests simultaneously without losing focus
- Initiative, good communications skills, proactive, problem-solving, time management, discretion and confidentiality are essential attributes
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Must have entrepreneurial skills and experience
- Must possess an inquisitive and creative mind
- Ability to build good relationships. There will be frequent contact with internal and external people, either face to face or by telephone or email
- Strong team player
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, etc.)
Individuals meeting the above requirements should submit their letters of applications, accompanied by detailed CVs and copies of academic and professional certificates. Applicants are to include three (03) names and addresses of referees, two of whom should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Electronic applications should be emailed to email@example.com and physical applications to:
Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
The closing date is Thursday 2nd April 2021.