- Company: Copperbelt University
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kitwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research, Innovation, Industrialisation and Consultancy as a service to the nation. The University has embarked on a number of commercial projects throughout its various campuses and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment into the following positions on specific projects.
PLANT PROPAGATION TECHNICIAN – 01 Position
The Propagation Technician will coordinate daily activities in plant propagation and nursery management. The Propagation Technician efficiently and effectively cares and propagates the plants to ensure they are at optimum health to provide a high-quality product to our clients.
The Plant Propagation Technician will report to the Head of Department for Plant and Environmental Sciences (PES) attached to the Kamfinsa Horticulture Project.
Main Duties / Responsibilities
- To determine the proper techniques, timings, required pre-treatments, appropriate growing media, container usage, and/or any other specialized requirements in preparation for propagation takes place in a timely and coordinated manner
- Conduct daily care and maintenance of plants from seed to harvest.
- The appropriate irrigation, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, sanitation, and pest control propagation stock.
- Proper spacing, air circulation, and sun/shade exposure is monitored and adjusted promptly and is effective in maintaining plants in optimum health.
- Maintaining the highest levels of cleanliness and sterility inside the production area and facility at all times, including routine cleaning and sterilization of equipment and infrastructure
- Monitor and Report Pest and disease to Plant Health Specialist.
- Use, maintain and operate equipment in the facility.
- Learn and follow protocols for plant systems and lab support.
- Take instruction and assist with tasks delegated by the management team.
- Participate in harvest and processing if needed.
- Ensure the daily compliance policies are followed, but not limited to compliance with the state, security protocols, access protocols and dress code.
- Develop and Implement the annual work plans in line with the Departmental and University strategic plan.
- Interpret customer orders to determine the type of product to be produced and the production schedule.
- Prepare accurate monthly production and training reports to monitor costs against the budget.
- Manage and supervise operations, in consultation with the Head of Department, to nurture and develop the project into a profitable business venture
- Manage, supervise and provide leadership to subordinates and general workers to ensure efficient execution of duties
- Diploma in Forestry/Agriculture from a recognised institution
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in grafting and nursery establishment is required.
- Must know cultivation processes
Required Attributes and Skills
- Must be a multitasker, with the ability to work on several requests simultaneously without losing focus
- Good communications skills, a strong team player, proactive, problem-solving, time management, discretion and confidentiality are essential attributes
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Must have entrepreneurial skills and experience
- Must possess an inquisitive and creative mind
- Ability to build good relationships. There will be frequent contact with internal and external people, either face to face or by telephone or email
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, etc.)
Individuals meeting the above requirements should submit their letters of applications, accompanied by detailed CVs and copies of academic and professional certificates. Applicants are to include three (03) names and addresses of referees, two of whom should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Electronic applications should be emailed to email@example.com and physical applications to:
Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
The closing date is Thursday 2nd April 2021.