- Company: Chemonics International Inc.
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Chemonics International Inc., Contractor for USAID Global Health Supply Chain Program – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) ensures uninterrupted supplies of health commodities in support of USG-funded public health initiatives around the world. The project provides direct procurement and supply chain management support to the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), the President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI), and Population and Reproductive Health. In supporting USG-funded global health activities, PSM develops and manages a wide array of services for health commodity procurement and related systems strengthening technical assistance encompassing different elements of a comprehensive supply chain. The project seeks to recruit (on a one-year contract renewable) for the following position of:
Position Title: Strategic Programs Director (1 position)
Reporting: Deputy Country Director
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Deputy Country Director, the Strategic Programs Director will oversee management of a portfolio of approximately $10 million in subcontracted activities designed to support ZAMMSA and GRZ with improvements in the warehousing and distribution of public health commodities. The portfolio currently consists of (i) infrastructure improvements for warehousing and storage of public health commodities; (ii) multiple last mile third party logistics (3PL) distribution subcontracts servicing up to 2,000 plus facilities countrywide, (iii) warehousing and last mile distribution of Insecticide Treated Nets (ITNs); (iv) Warehouse Management System (WMS) support and expansion to regional hubs; (v) waste management disposal, and (vi) operational support for ZAMMSA, to include GPS tracking services, material handling equipment (MHE) maintenance, and operational supplies.
- Lead the preparation of technical scope development, cost estimates, and implementation schedules for activities within the strategic programs’ portfolio. Design and implement management systems to monitor progress of activities within the strategic programs’ portfolio;
- Provide direct technical and operational oversight of subcontracting processes for activities within the strategic programs’ portfolio, to include RFP development, solicitation, selection, subcontract development, and subcontract management;
- Liaise closely with Distribution Center Logistics Directorate, which leads technical assistance support to ZAMMSA, to ensure technical alignment of activities within the portfolio. For 3PL activities, support distribution optimization interventions for last mile activities and ensure subcontract harmonization with last mile improvement initiatives;
- Liaise closely with Chemonics PMU, Chemonics Risk Department, and Chemonics engineering and environmental compliance specialists to ensure compliance with USAID and U.S. government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate policies, laws of Zambia, and any supplemental policies developed specifically for GHSC-PSM;
- Develop and monitor adherence to Environmental Monitoring and Mitigation Plans (EMMPs) and related environmental regulations for all relevant activities, to include any waste management activities (as requested by USAID);
- Monitor technical and contractual performance of vendors and oversee regular performance monitoring reports;
- Liaise closely with the GHSC-PSM Operations team to oversee budget monitoring and reporting for strategic program activities. Monitor expenditures and burn rate against subcontract ceilings;
- Ensure that all necessary subcontractor documentation, including technical reports and applicable environmental monitoring and mitigation plans, are completed for each project;
- Oversee relevant site visits to review and monitor technical activities and vendor compliance to contractual terms;
- Approve relevant subcontract deliverables, ensuring adherence to technical and contractual terms.
- Supervise staff reporting to the Strategic Programs Director. Develop roles and responsibilities, design and monitor professional development plans, conduct annual performance appraisals, develop SMART goals, and periodically monitor progress towards objectives;
- Support development and management of annual work plans and budgets for activities within the Strategic Programs’ portfolio, based on GRZ and USG priorities;
- Represent PSM project at various technical meetings with collaborating partners, senior government officials, and/or donor agencies;
- Ensure that staff understand and adhere to established policies and procedures. Support quick and just resolution of any conflicting issues that arise;
- Verify that USAID regulations, Chemonics policies, and quality management best practices are enforced consistently;
- Exhibit Chemonics values and build culture of “Living our Values” within the team;
- Carry out additional responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time in consultation with the country director and deputy country director.
Minimum Education Qualifications, Experience, and Competencies:
- Master’s degree in relevant field required (Public Health, Health Systems, Project Management, Business Administration, or other related field), or bachelor’s degree with equivalent experience;
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience managing significant technical and operational components of donor-funded international development projects, with experience in Supply Chain Logistics required. Experience directly managing third party logistics (3PL) distribution contracts preferred;
- Familiarity with USAID contractual, financial, and reporting requirements required, with demonstrated experience with Chemonics International preferred;
- Technical staff under consideration must hold certifications with appropriate professional bodies;
- Knowledge of Zambia’s operating environment preferred;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse stakeholders in implementing complex programs;
- Ability to supervise staff effectively;
- Strong project management and leadership skills;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills;
- Written and spoken English proficiency.
Location of assignment: Lusaka
Send electronic submissions of your CV, cover letter and highest necessary qualifications to PSMZambiaRecruitment@ghsc-psm.org by 17pm on Friday March 26, 2021. Please clearly include the position in the subject line of the email. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.