This is an exciting opportunity to join Build It International, a UK/Zambian NGO and be a key part of our mission to create opportunities for young people and their communities through skills training, work experience and essential community building projects.
We have completed 50 building projects since 2006, including dozens of primary and secondary schools, health facilities and training centres. Projects are usually costed at USD100,000 – USD200,000 and located in rural communities throughout the country. They all incorporate a training element, teaching young men and women construction skills whilst working on the new build. Many examples are listed on our website.
About the Role:
This key role oversees all aspects of the delivery of our community construction programme following well-established procedures and policies. You will support and supervise project delivery through a team of site agents. The aim is to ensure works are completed on time, to budget and to a high standard.
In a typical year, we complete 3-4 projects. The key competence we require is the ability to oversee multiple projects at the same time.
The post is based at our Zambia HQ, located at our Centre for Excellence at 10 Miles on the Great North Road, Lusaka, with travel to project sites throughout Zambia.
- Construction Programme Planning
- Overall planning of annual building programme delivery
- Coordination of new building design briefs
- Responsible for development of resource plans for individual builds (our core project management tool)
- Ensure implementation of Health and Safety and guidelines incl. COVID19
- Selection of contractors including management of tendering process
- Co-ordination with our Training into Work programme
Delivery of Projects
- Supervision to and support of Site Agents in managing projects covering: design, budgets, site set-up, project delivery schedule, contractor management, Health and Safety compliance, risk management.
- Direct supervision of procurement officer
- Delivery of short training sessions and learning events as part of site agent professional development
- Regular appraisals and performance objective setting for site agents
- Regular reporting including financial forecasting and risk managing
- Oversight of the development of the expanding Centre for Excellence facility including maintenance/grounds
- Co-ordinate the continuing development of Build It technical guidelines and sustainable building through our Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
- Ensure construction complies with Build It’s standard details book & other guidelines including local building regulations
- Ensure quality of construction is of high standard
Other Key Relationships
- Reporting to Country Director
- Training Programme Coordinator
- Technical professional service providers e.g. architects
- TAG advisory group (internal advisors)
You will come from a construction background and be able to demonstrate strong building and people management skills. You will also be able to demonstrate:
- A relevant professional qualification to at least Bachelor’s level for example; construction management, architecture, civil engineering or similar
- Affinity with our mission, values and approach
- At least five years construction management experience including:
- Budgeting Delivery programming
- Contract set up and management
- Site management
- Procurement Risk management
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Good leadership skills, as well as the ability to work as part of a team
- Experience of overseeing multiple building projects
- Current registration with professional body e.g. EIZ, ZIA
- Technical drawing competence an advantage (CAD)
- Experience of working in sub-Saharan Africa an advantage but not essential
An attractive remuneration package, competitive in the Zambia construction market including medical insurance. Initially offered on a two-year basis, extendable by mutual agreement.
Please feel free to contact us to discuss this position before applying by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a call, quoting “COM Enquiry” in the email subject title.