- Company: Lusaka Apex Medical University
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The Lusaka Apex Medical University (LAMU) has the following job opportunity under the Faculty of Medicine.
JOB TITLE: ASSISTANT DEAN – PROVINCIAL
PROVINCES: CENTRAL (KABWE) AND COPPERBELT (KITWE)
MAIN JOB PURPOSE:
To manage the academic and administrative activities of assigned provincial campuses in an effective and efficient manner in order to produce high calibre graduates and provide relevant service to the community.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
1. Takes care of students in a given province and handle academic and administrative issues.
2. Supervises teaching activities in the assigned campus, including setting examinations, marking and publication of results in conformity with set teaching and practice standards and methodologies according to each respective area of specialization for both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
3. Oversees the enrolment of students and superintends over the registration process to ensure accountability and that programmes are sufficiently subscribed for effective planning in the area of responsibility.
4. Evaluates and monitor standards of subject taught to students.
5. Prepare time tables and ensures adherence to sessional dates.
6. Coordinates and compiles the budget for the provincial campus under his/her supervision upon receipt of submissions and proposals from subordinates for incorporation into the budget once approved.
7. Participates in the formulation and/or reviews policies and procedures governing the operation of the campus, including work manuals and related documentation in order to have in place a sound framework and foundation to achieve plans and objectives.
8. Ensures that approved policies and plans are effectively implemented by the surbordinates under his/her supervision through received reports and set benchmarks, taking corrective action as necessary.
9. Stimulates and spearheads research activities to generate new knowledge, mobilizing resources, coordinating and supervising all research activities with the aid of subordinates, ensuring that research results are published and disseminated through journals, conferences, and seminars.
10. Prepares monthly and quarterly operational reports highlighting achievements and challenges against set objectives and plans and targets for the Dean’s approval and management information and use.
11. Mentor students and staff in the provincial campus so that they are able to achieve their highest potential.
12. Develops and provides social programmes and support for students to aid learning in liaison with the Dean of Medicine.
13. Coordinates student affairs to ensure that all students stay and operate in a physical and social environment conducive for learning.
14. Coordinates health and social services for students.
15. Keeps up to date with relevant student and/or teaching resources, including appropriate modern tools and techniques to ensure provision of high quality services and efficient running of the departments supervised.
16. Provides information to students, management, parents, sponsors and the community at large
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Must be an effective communicator, tactful, and fair to be able to maintain good working relations in the hospitals and cultivate rapport with members of the public as well as the academia in general.
- High level of confidentiality and willingness to work long hours.
- Provides sound leadership and mentorship to subordinates all the time to ensure high standard of professionalism and integrity.
- Well organized and self-motivated.
- Numerical skills required to apply scientific formulae and calculations applicable to Medicine.
- Proficient with Micro Soft packages (e.g. Word, Excel, statistical packages and Power Point).
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- MBChB, MMed or equivalent
- Experience in handling undergraduate and post graduate students.
- Experience in teaching, training, research development and grant proposal writing.
- Minimum experience of 5 Years Post MMed or equivalent in clinical practice and teaching.
Applications should be addressed to the Deputy Registrar-Human Resources & Administration.
The Deputy Registrar – Human Resource and Administration
Off Kasama Road
P.O Box 31909
Or Emailed to:
Closing Date: 30th April, 2021.