- Company: The Wild Life Africa
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Travel and Tourism Jobs in Zambia
Outline of the Role
The Operations Manager is responsible to the General Manager and shareholders for successful day-to-day operating of the company. This is a role that requires a broad range of skills, significant attention to detail and organisation, a commitment to ensuring that company assets are always in top shape, and a willingness to work until the job is done at a high level…consistently.
The Operations Manager will liaise closely with the General Manager to ensure effective communication and organisations to ensure effective operations.
The ideal candidate will offer the following characteristics:
- Vehicle fleet management experience
- Vehicle maintenance skills and a general ‘handyman’
- Basic administration and organisational skills
- Fair geographical knowledge of Zambia and neighbouring countries
- Client engagement experience in the tourism sector
- Interest in 4x4s, the outdoors and the tourism industry
- The ability to troubleshoot challenges effectively and efficiently. A creative problem-solver
- Strong negotiation skills with suppliers
- A commitment to quality and value
1. Vehicle maintenance, scheduling and management
- Ensure that all vehicles are always kept in excellent working condition and ready to be deployed at short notice
- Maintain a list record of all services and repairs that are done on all vehicles. Oversee each vehicle usage history and allocate vehicles in a way that maximises their lifespan.
- Ensure that a clear process that is consistently administered for all check-out / check-in and assessment of all vehicles.
- Coordinate with General Manager to be aware of vehicle hire schedule at all times
- When necessary, be present at all pick-up and drop-off of vehicles in Lusaka. Meet and greet the clients and ensure they understand how the 4x4s operate before they hire.
2. Non-vehicle Asset management
- Maintain an inventory list that keeps track of all TWLA inventory (active and retired). Create a process to audit the inventory. Ensure that a proper number of spares are on inventory to replace items when/if needed.
- Ensure all non-vehicle assets are kept in top condition, regularly serviced and replaced when necessary
- Ensure an adequate back-up supply of non-vehicle assets that can be used/deployed at very short notice as/when necessary
- Ensure that assets can always be accounted for
- Ensure that purchase/replacement lists are available at key times during the season
3. Administration and paperwork
- Ensure necessary paperwork for any cross-border travel is successfully completed well in advance of departure
- Ensure that insurance, road taxes, fitness and Interpol clearances are kept up to date
- Maintain a vehicle hire schedule that staff are aware of and ensure that all vehicles are turned over within the timeline of that schedule.
4. Personnel management
- Support, direct and oversee Drivers and other support personal
- Lead, all TWLA employees by example, to build a sense of shared ownership of the company values, ethos and ambition.
- Manage day-to-day staff operations, activities and workload.
- Manage support staff to ensure that TWLA premises is in proper working order.
5. Client experience
- Ensure that all client interactions contribute to the positive reputation of TWLA
- Develop and maintain a client focused attitude among all TWLA employees.
- Develop and maintain management and process tools that will enhance the client experience.
- When necessary, support Drivers and other staff in vehicle and/or trip preparation
- On occasion, support mobile safaris or hosted trips in rural areas of Zambia as a driver or camp support
6. Working Hours
- Full time work is 48 hours per week. However, our regular work week will be 40 hours. That means there will be some weeks where 48 hours will be required (especially in high season), but no overtime will be paid.
- The 40 to 48 hours must have a minimum of 30 hours on site @ TWLA office (5 days a week). This is to ensure proper oversite of the staff.
- The Operations Man will be requested to work at weekends mainly facilitate vehicle ups or returns or ad hoc client emergencies as outlined in Principle responsibilities item 1.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date : 30th April, 2021.