- Company: Healthy Learners
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Construction/Real Estate Jobs in Zambia
TITLE: Building Officer
Healthy Leaners is an award-winning non-profit organization committed to improving the health of children in Zambia and beyond. We partner directly with the government and local communities in Zambia so that school children can stay healthy, learn effectively and have a brighter future. This year, Healthy Learners was the inaugural winner of the 2021 Duke F.M. Kirby Prize for Scaling Social Impact and the UBS Optimus Foundation COVID-19 Relief Prize and has seen strong, steady growth in philanthropic support over time.
School-aged children in low resource settings suffer from a high burden of disease and lack access to even basic healthcare, which causes for otherwise preventable and curable illnesses to frequently result in life-long health challenges or disability. In the short term, these illnesses contribute to school absenteeism, poor academic performance and high drop-out rates. In the long term, they undermine physical, cognitive and emotional development and hinder economic prosperity.
Healthy Learners is bridging this gap in Zambia through our unique model of school-based community health. By training teachers to be community health workers and making schools entry points into the public healthcare system, children now receive medical attention in substantially greater numbers, improving health outcomes and reducing absenteeism. We currently serve 250,000 students in Lusaka and, with our program now adopted by the government as policy, we are working with the Zambian government to scale nationally.
As we prepare to enter a new and exciting period of growth, we are looking for talented, hard working and dedicated Building Officer. A key member of our growing construction team, the Building Officer will be responsible for overseeing the construction, safety and maintenance of buildings and structures for the implementation of our programs, such as school health rooms. A strong candidate should be passionate for the mission of Healthy Learners, excellent attention to detail and experience in project management related to construction. The job will require significant travel between provincial project locations.
- Work with the Programs Department, District Education Office (DEO) and school administrators to select the locations for the construction and/or refurbishment of school health spaces.
- Work with Building Assistants to ensure construction projects are completed on time and with high quality.
- Support schools in obtaining necessary approvals and documentation from government offices. Work with the DEO to ensure schools have obtained permission for new buildings or structural alterations prior to the initiation of work.
- Ensure that the correct materials and items are procured and delivered in a timely manner in accordance with project plans.
- Identify and report opportunities for cost and time saving measures during construction.
- Work with the DEO and implementing partners to identify qualified contractors for projects.
- Facilitate trainings for building contractors on project specifications, safety requirements and other relevant policies and procedures.
- Ensure construction projects follow established blue-prints and meet regulatory standards of safety, sustainability, accessibility and design.
- Work with the Building Assistants and the DEO to oversee and evaluate construction works. Make regular inspections of building work at various stages of completion and provide feedback to contractors to ensure safety precautions are followed and that all structures are built at high quality in compliance with the building consent and program standards. If standards are not met, ensure appropriate remedial action is taken and documented.
- Inspect jobs, complete all necessary end of project reports and issue completion certificates.
- Document and report enquiries and complaints.
- Complete necessary reports and document all records related to construction projects.
- Keep accurate records of communications with school administration, contractors or other partners, including documentation all inspections.
- Maintain an active line of communication with contractors, implementing partners, DEO and relevant members of Healthy Learners throughout the construction period
- Respond to partner needs in relation to technical support and ensure timely follow-up and communication is completed.
- Help to resolve conflict resolution between contractors and partners.
- Ensure that effective working relationships are maintained with key stakeholders (i.e. Building Officers from DEBs, School Admin, Teachers etc.).
- Action-oriented, hard-working, flexible, self-directed and humble;
- Proven track record of effectively overseeing construction projects;
- Excellence in project management with ability to effectively supervise and manage contractors;
- Well organized and consistent in setting, prioritizing and meeting realistic deadlines, with meticulous attention to detail;
- Proven ability to work with limited supervision;
- Unwavering commitment to quality service delivery;
- Strong understanding of building regulations, construction processes, legislation and requirements;
- Ability to spend significant time in the field completing on-site inspections;
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships, function effectively as part of a team and operate effectively in a progressive and dynamic environment
- High level of integrity and trustworthiness;
- Passion for Healthy Learners’ Vision & Mission
- Degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering or related profession
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in management of construction projects.
- Strong understanding of Zambian Building Codes and Safety Regulations
- Willingness to travel and spend time at different project locations
- Must have a valid driver’s license for over two years.
- A motorbike driver’s license is a plus
Proposed Start Date: July 2021
Interested applicants should email their CV and 1 page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 12th May 2021.
All application must be addressed to;
The Director of Administration