- Company: GIZ
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The project “Trade Facilitation at the Mwami-Mchinji Border Crossing Between Malawi and Zambia”, implemented by the GIZ Trade for Development Fund, has following objective: to improve conditions for cross-border trade through enhanced customs cooperation and optimised export processes and procedures of selected high potential value chains at the Mwami-Mchinji border crossing.
This border post, located between Malawi and Zambia, is characterised by several challenges: insufficient border agency coordination and cross-border agency cooperation, high costs of cross-border trade compliance, inadequate border infrastructure, long waiting times for trucks at the border, double physical inspection, poor access to relevant information on the necessary trade documents and procedures at the border as well as insufficient interface between the custom processing systems of the two countries.
Another challenge is the low optimisation of Malawian regional and global value chains. There is a big need to modernise the export procedures and processes in high potential export value chains, so that the products can reach the final destinations faster, at a lower cost and in a better shape.
The medium-term aim of the project is to reduce physical inspections of goods, to improve administrative processes and procedures for transit, export and import trade and to reduce unnecessary bureaucracy, as well as contribute to the reduction trade and transaction costs. Another medium-term goal is to improve the framework conditions for small-scale cross-border trade. One of the project’s components will focus on the specific challenges of female small-scale cross-border traders.
In this context, GIZ is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position which will focus on trade facilitation and value chains related interventions:
Advisor – Trade Facilitation (based in Lusaka)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop a strategy and roadmap for project monitoring and implementation
- Facilitate Implementation of project activities in close consultation with the GIZ project manager based in Bonn
- Seek buy-in from the project implementing partners on the approved project priorities
- Undertake risk and project planning and management
- Build strategic partnerships between GIZ and relevant donor supported programmes and/ or projects
- Advise on the needed resources and facilitating trainings and workshops
- Knowledge management and information sharing
- Initiate procurement processes with respect to procurement of goods and services, including preparing terms of reference for consultancies
- Authenticating project expenditure reports in consultation with Finance Department
- Contributing to the coordination of the project activities between Zambia and Malawi
- Contribute to coordinated delivery of trade and trade-related technical assistance within the broader framework of development cooperation
Advising the partner institution(s)
- Supporting the development and implementation of project operational plans and activities in collaboration with the counterparts
- Designing, organising and implementing training, workshops, seminars and other events connected with the project’s area of activity
- Identifying local and international short-term consultants for capacity development of the partner institutions, and supporting their engagement, including drafting the Terms of Reference.
- Developing and organising quality assurance measures and suggesting improvements
- Supporting PR activities
- Developing concepts of project activities
Networking and cooperation
- Supporting cooperation with partners, with relevant organisations in the project environment and with other projects for synergy effects
- Facilitating bi/tri-lateral collaborative activities
- Compiling relevant information and ensuring knowledge transfer to the project team and proper filing
- Preparing appropriate input for various project reports required by the project manager at the GIZ Headquarters
- Coordinating relevant project activities at national level, including organisational and logistical aspects, in consultation with the project manager and the partners
- Assisting the GIZ Country Office on administrative matters, i.e. initiating project procurement process; contract processing, bookkeeping, etc.
- Assisting preparation of partner trips and in the organisation of workshops and missions, including logistics
- Providing support in cash and budget planning
Qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Economics, Law or Social Sciences or similar field
- At least 5 years’ professional experience the Trade Facilitation field
- At least 5 years’ experience in a comparable position in a relevant private or public organisation
- Professional experience in project management
- Experience in working with international organisations and governmental institutions in the field of development cooperation would be an added advantage
Knowledge, additional competences:
- Fluency in English, both written and oral
- Excellent IT skills (Microsoft Office, Internet, etc.)
- Ability to work in a virtual environment
- Strong analytical and organisational skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Strong communication skills
- Must be self-driven, innovative, and have problem-solving capacity
- Ability to work independently, responsibly and must be target-oriented
- Willingness to travel extensively around the country
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract, as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters electronically quoting GIZ_TDF_ADVMW in the subject line to: jobzambia@GIZ.de by 17:00 on Tuesday, 18th May 2021. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
Cover letters must be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience in trade facilitation. In the third paragraph outline your experience in project management.
CVs must not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.