- Company: On Call Africa
- Location: Zambia
- State: Sesheke Airport
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Construction/Real Estate Jobs in Zambia
On Call Africa (OCA)
Construction Manager – WASH in healthcare facilities
On Call Africa was set up by a group of doctors and international development experts, all with a shared desire to improve access to healthcare and health outcomes within rural communities. In particular, looking to support communities with traditionally poor access to medical professionals and amenities – Zambia was selected due its low ratio of doctors to people. Following a consultation with the Ministry of Health, the Southern Province was selected as the starting point.
We work in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Rural Health Facilities, volunteer Doctors from the UK, and delivery partners to support the development of strong and effective rural health systems in Zambia. We also work with Rural Health Facilities that have been identified by the Ministry of Health as being in need of capacity building and support. With these Rural Health Facilities, we map their catchment area, carry out in depth assessments of health facility needs, and the needs of their communities, and use these to work with the health facility staff to develop detailed quality improvement and implementation plans to improve access to and quality of healthcare. Once in place we work with the Ministry of Health, and our partners to deliver identified programmes of work.
One consistent challenge that we have identified in all health facilities that we work, and their surrounding catchment areas, has been poor access to Water, Sanitation, hygiene and waste management. For this reason, we reached out to WaterAid to explore the potential to work together to improve WASH services, alongside our existing medical interventions. Following a period of consultation, we have been selected as the delivery partner for WaterAid’s WASH in healthcare facilities project taking place in 27 rural health facilities in Sesheke and Mwandi Districts. This role represents an exciting opportunity to deliver a pioneering program that meets a clear need.
Responsible to: Country Director
Salary: k30,000 per month, dependent on experience
Hours: Full Time – 40 hours per week
Flexible Working: Given the nature of the role it is expected that the post-holder will work flexibly.
This may include working extended hours, evenings, and weekends.
On Call Africa is looking for a Project Officer WASH for its WASH in Healthcare Facilities (HCFs) Project. The aim of the project is to improve access and quality of WASH services in facilities in Zambia and strengthen the integration and management of sustainable WASH models and guidelines.
Empower and strengthen local structures to improve sustainable and inclusive access to WASH services in communities, and HCFs through a human rights-based approach (HRBA).
The project will focus on upholding and sustaining current successes for strengthening WASH in healthcare facilities, through a pilot that was run by WaterAid Zambia. The target districts are, Mwandi and Sesheke Districts in Western Province. The project has the following outcomes:
1. Increased access to inclusive and sustainable water supply and sanitation services in 27 healthcare facilities.
2. Increased knowledge and capacity of communities in three districts to demand their rights to quality WASH services in unserved healthcare facilities.
3. Improved institutional management for sustainability of water supply and sanitation services and hygiene behaviours.
4. Accelerated adoption and integration of WASH in HCFs models and guidelines for sustainable and inclusive WASH services that contribute to an acceleration of hygienic conditions in HCFs by MoH.
The main activities will include;
- Providing WASH facilities in maternity annexes, delivery rooms, and sluice rooms; inclusive staff and patient toilets; shower rooms for patients; segregated inclusive outpatient toilets for males and females; as well as washing troughs, handwashing basins, and waste management facilities.
- Providing the full package of water, sanitation, hygiene, waste management and environmental cleaning, per Joint Monitoring Program (JMP) standards.
- Installing inclusive menstrual hygiene management (MHM) facilities and piped water networks to provide drinking water for learners and supply to school ablution blocks; hygiene behaviour change; HRBA; sexual rights and human rights; as well as interventions focused on boys and young men.
- Mobilizing and empowering communities, particularly children, to demand their rights to WASH;
- Strengthening capacity of institutions mandated to provide WASH in HCFs;
- Influencing and engaging the public around sustainable and inclusive WASH, building upon the Kutuba Campaign, a hygiene behaviour campaign designed to address underlying motives in a creative and scientific manner as a means of furthering sustained behaviour change.
The Construction Manager (WASH) will be expected to lead on project planning for the design and construction of WASH infrastructure; oversee, monitor and quality-control all aspects of infrastructure construction; build and maintain productive partnerships with contractors and other stakeholders; lead on and participate in WASH review meetings; respond to requests for information from stakeholders as required; undertake other professional tasks as reasonably requested by country director.
The Construction Manager (WASH) will also be responsible for:
- Ensuring the completion of engineering outputs and deliverables of the project by organizing and overseeing all engineering activities and ensuring compliance with Project and GRZ standards;
- Reviewing and contributing to the WASH infrastructure elements of project proposals and collaborating with OCA and other partners to ensure they meet all project and GRZ standards;
- Determining project responsibilities, identifying, and implementing project phases and engineering elements, and reviewing bids from contractors;
- Determining project specifications by studying WASH infrastructure designs along with OCA and MOH requirements and performance standards;
- Completing technical studies and preparations of cost estimates;
- Confirming WASH infrastructure performance by reviewing designs, communicating for stakeholder agreement, and implementing agreed upon solutions;
- Planning for and developing project schedules, plans and specifications, calculating time requirements, and sequencing project elements in collaboration with the implementing partners, sector stakeholders and beneficiaries;
- Maintaining project schedule, supervising and monitoring project progress, coordinating activities, and resolving problems with the implementing partners, sector stakeholders and beneficiaries;
- Monitoring project costs, approving expenditures and administering contractor contracts in compliance with the Project PMER and QPS;
- Preparing project status reports, collecting, analysing, and summarizing information and trends and recommending actions;
- Ensuring the maintenance of safe and clean working environment by enforcing project procedures, rules, and regulations;
- Maintaining project database, entering and backing up data;
- Ensuring all installed infrastructure complies with all organisational and national standards and regulations;
- Contributing to and supporting the project team in other areas of work where required
Experience and Technical Skills
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s of Science in Civil Engineering from a recognized University, or Construction Management, Architecture, or other related discipline required
- A minimum of five years’ experience in programme planning, development and management at managerial level in WASH
- Experience with manufacturing facilities construction sites preferred
- Experience in developing and managing projects, including staff, budgeting and budget management.
- Experience of development and management of teams and partner organisations
- In-depth knowledge of participatory approaches, facilitation and training techniques.
- Ability to think strategically & translate development and fiscal plans
- Computer-literate (word processing & spreadsheet packages including power point)
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to conduct: requirements analysis, designs, manufacturing methods and procedures, process improvement
- Excellent project management experience
- Proven ability to determine and implement safety management protocols and procedures
- Strong supervision skills and experience working with contractors
- CAD, CAD/CAM circuit design
- Strong interpersonal skills, especially the ability to network, establish and build relationships and to influence others
- Ability to manage individuals and groups participating in different aspects of project design and implementation
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven Ability to work with stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English
- Commitment to On Call Africa’s values and a working style that reflects these values
To apply for the role, please submit a CV and cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit for the role to email@example.com by 17:00 4th June 2021.