- Company: GIZ
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
Under Reform of the Water Sector Phase II (RWS II), GIZ is continuing its support to the Ministry of Water Development, Sanitation and Environmental Protection (MWDSEP), sector institutions and regulators, as well as private and public service providers, in order to implement the 1994 and 2010 water sector reforms for improved access to and efficient management of water and sanitation services, in the overall approach of integrated water resources management. RWSII has also continued support to the Ministry of Higher Education (MoHE) in order to close the skills gap in the sector from the Technical Vocational Education Training (TVET) perspective. The objective of RWS II reads: “The conditions for transparent planning and implementation processes for ensuring water and sanitation services as well as competence development for professionals in the water sector are improved.” During this phase, processes and procedures to improve water and sanitation services at national and regional level, with a focus on rural areas, will be supported and linked to vocational education and training in the water sector. In particular, (1) core processes of the Ministry of Water, (2) water and sanitation services in rural areas, (3) long term training for water sector professionals, (4) skills enhancement for water professionals, (5) adaptation of vocational training offers by a skills advisory group for trades related to the water sector, (6) sanitation services in urban areas of Lusaka including industrial wastewater management and (7) regulatory mechanisms and climate reporting.
In this context, GIZ is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Junior Water Policy Advisor (Lusaka based)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Providing support in organising of meetings with the Ministry of Water Development, Sanitation and Environmental Protection (MWDSEP) under Action Area 1 ‘Sector Policy Support’
- Supporting the MWDSEP with activities relating to the implementation of the recommendations of the Joint Water, Sanitation and Environmental Sector Review (JWSESR) as well as preparatory activities for the next JWSESR
- Supporting procurement of services and goods
- Supporting the various working groups at MWDSEP in line with GIZ advisory support
- Supporting the Senior Policy Advisor with stakeholder coordination in the WSS sector with particular focus on supporting the MWDSEP Department Planning and Infrastructure (DPI)
- Supporting the Senior Policy Advisor with the preparation of the quarterly JWSESR progress reports as well as the biannual JWSESR reports by DPI
- Supporting the Senior Policy Advisor with the coordination of key partners and lead consultants in preparation and organisation of sector, bilateral and other meetings
- Providing support in the design and printing of annual Action Plans, Annual Reports and other ministerial documents as will be required
- Preparing inputs and minutes for presentations, meetings and discussions as will be required
- Supporting the preparation of terms of reference for consultants and procurements as well as supporting coordination of external consultants
- Undertaking assigned sub-tasks aimed at supporting MWDSEP in developing an Integrated Management Information System (IMIS) and Change Management process
- Supporting the Long-Term Consultant for Policy Support in organising GIZ, partner and stakeholder meetings and other logistical requirements
- Supporting internal coordination between different action areas of RWS II
Other duties/additional tasks
- Giving input into internal planning, monitoring and evaluation, communication strategies, acquisition proposals and other related matters for the RWS II Action Area 1 ‘Sector Policy Support’
- Preparing publications, publicity materials and documentation
- Performing ad hoc tasks on request of the supervisor or management
Qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in a related field, e.g. Water and Sanitation, Social Sciences particularly Public Administration, Economics, Business Administration, Development Studies or comparable courses
- At least 1 year of demonstrable, professional experience in the field of water supply, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), especially experience in the Zambian water and sanitation sector at either national, provincial or regulatory levels
- Experience in cooperation with Governmental Organisations (Ministries, Local Authorities, Regulators), Commercial Utilities and/or NGOs in the water and sanitation sector in Zambia with respect to sector development and coordination is an added advantage
- Experience with organising public events with partners and coordination of key stakeholder institutions is an added advantage
Knowledge, additional competences:
- Ability to work under pressure with high resilience and motivation
- Understanding of social issues and challenges in the Zambian WASH development sector
- Team player with team spirit
- Diplomatic skills,
- Excellent communication skills in English, both written and spoken
- High communication, social and intercultural competence
- Must have strong IT skills (e.g. MS Office, online research, etc.) with willingness to learn and develop new skills
- Must be proactive and be able to use own initiative
- Cover letters must be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position. In the second paragraph, outline your experience in the Zambia water and sanitation sector.
- CVs must not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.