- Company: GIZ
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
In 2014 BMZ has initiated the special initiative “ONE WORLD – NO HUNGER” (SEWOH) aimed at reducing hunger and malnutrition in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In Zambia the GIZ projects of the SEWOH initiative are clustered under the heading of the Agriculture and Food Security Programme (AgriFood). Within the AgriFood programme the Food and Nutrition Security, Enhanced Resilience (FANSER) Project aims to improve the nutritional situation of Zambians at risk of food and nutrition insecurity, targeting 110,000 women of child-bearing age and 64,000 young children in selected districts in Luapula and Eastern Province corresponding to the Zambian MCDP minimum service package (except critical situations).
The project operates in five action areas:
(1) Increase knowledge about nutrition, change attitudes positively; (2) Increase knowledge about hygiene, change attitudes positively; (3) Increasing the year-round availability of nutrient-rich foods / nutrition-sensitive agriculture; (4) Households have developed strategies to manage their household and productive resources and (5) Strengthening nutrition governance at the district, provincial and national level.
Furthermore, the project supports nutrition governance and national monitoring of the MCDP (II) under the coordination of the NFNC. In addition to the overarching multi-sectoral approach, the FANSER Project is also stimulating positive change on household-level. While poor adoption of new practices is often attributed to a lack of knowledge, individual attitudes towards new practices are also a very important contributing factor and need to be positively impacted by special behaviour change techniques and appropriate communication channels.
In this context, the project is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
(Senior) Advisor for Food Security and Nutrition (based in Lusaka)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Provision of advisory services to government partners on topics relating to food and nutrition security
- Provision of technical support on topics related to food and nutrition security
- Coordination of cooperation with government partners and selected project implementation partners
- Thematic data analysis with a focus on food and nutrition security
- Knowledge management and supporting peer-learning on food security and nutrition topics
- Support general project management and implementation
Advisory services on food security and nutrition and coordination of partners
- Supporting coordination, steering and networking with different government and implementing partners
- Provision of technical advisory services to partners on food security and nutrition strategies, policies and programmes and supporting the provision of advisory services under the thematic area of health (incl. hygiene) if needed
- Representing the project in relevant steering and technical working groups
- Coordinating and facilitation of capacity building initiatives related to nutrition and health
- Monitoring and administration of implementing partner activities, reports and targets
- Supporting and coordinating partner visits
- Coordinating procurements for equipment for partners and organisation of events with partners
Technical lead food security and nutrition
- Acting as a resource person within the project on the topic of nutrition
- Strengthening the coordination of nutrition activities
- Provision of technical guidance and coaching on food security and nutrition to the project and the AgriFood Cluster
- Preparing content for different sub-topics and in different formats
- Taking lead on selected and varying focal topics such as food systems, corona response, graduation strategies
- Preparing content for awareness initiatives
Data analysis and knowledge management
- Consolidating of relevant information on MCDP II / SUN, nutrition, related agricultural topics and any other important nutrition-related developments with a focus on selected provinces, Zambia and globally
- Compiling findings and recommendations into appealing formats for effective decision-making
- Providing technical input on the implementation of project surveys related to food security and nutrition
- Facilitating information, knowledge and experience sharing on nutrition and food security topics with partners and internally
- Assisting partners to incorporate good practices and other results of the German Technical Cooperation related to nutrition into their work
- Supporting knowledge sharing on health and hygiene topics related to FANSER’s work in action area 2
- Preparing content for reports as requested by partners and for GIZ/BMZ reporting and of any other publications
- Preparing exchanges with other projects under the global project and supporting knowledge exchange between the provinces
- Preparing project information for dissemination, e.g. following requests from the global project
- Representing the project and the AgriFood cluster in relevant meetings and conferences with core partners and institutions
Other duties/additional tasks
- If required, representing the project manager their absence, especially on technical discussions and exchange of knowledge
- Reviewing and compiling of project reports
- Supporting administrative processes
- Carrying out important tasks for the project, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description
Qualifications, knowledge and professional experience:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Nutrition/Public Health, Food Security or related field
- At least 6-8 years’ professional and relevant experience in working on nutrition topics
- At least 5 years’ experience in working in the field of development cooperation, public entities or research institutions
- Vast experience in working with and providing advisory services to government partners such as MoH and MoA
- Good knowledge about food security and nutrition strategies, including MCDP II and SUN
- Good advisory skills and good understanding of organisational development topics
- Experience in the organisation of events and good networking skills
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Fluency in English, both written and oral; oral fluency in at least one local language widely spoken in the region where the position is based(Bemba and/or Nyanja)
- Good working ICT knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams and PowerPoint
- Good facilitation and presentation skills
- An understanding of key implementing methods such as the Care Group Model
- Excellent analytical skills and interest in data
- Strong interpersonal, advisory and communication skills and be able to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Ability to work independently; must be responsible and target-oriented
- Willingness to travel frequently
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract, as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters electronically quoting GIZ_FSR_NUTRI in the subject line to: jobzambia@GIZ.de by 17:00 on Wednesday, 2nd June 2021. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Cover letters MUST be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position and explain in the second paragraph why you would be the best suited candidate.
- CVs MUST not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. MUST not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.