- Company: FAO
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Zambia
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger and malnutrition. The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments to develop policies, programmes and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to help develop the agricultural, fisheries and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
In his/her function as Driver for the FAO Representations, the incumbent is in regular contact with staff from all levels of the country office, with national and international visitors, with (high ranking) officials from the government and other UN agencies, with project managers, consultants and other personnel from within and outside the organization. He/she is often the first point of contact for people from outside the country office. He/she interacts on a day-to-day basis with personnel and officials from local offices and service.
Tasks and responsibilities
The incumbent, through his/her work, will contribute to implementation of the project activities among which include:
- Drive the country office staff and their official visitors on official trips, and drive the FAO Representative and his/her visitors on occasions as necessary.
- Meet staff and official visitors at the airport, facilitate immigration, customs formalities, hotel check-in and other local formalities
- Log official trips mileage, fuel consumption, transportation / vehicle related expenditures, vehicle servicing, repairs, etc.
- Ensure day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s); checks oil, water, battery, tyres, perform minor repairs and timely arrange for an other repairs necessary to keep the vehicle safe and technically sound at all times; maintain the vehicle(s) in clean conditions.
- Handle local and organizational formalities when involved in an accident, ensure that in this case all organizational and local country rules, regulations and procedures are followed correctly.
- Collect and deliver mail, documents, pouches, and other communications / items from and to the country office, go to the post office, airport, government agencies, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc. to take and deliver items and communications; keep records as required;
- When needed, assist the country office staff in performing simple clerical duties such as making and answering telephone calls, photocopies, scanning, keeping records, etc.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Impact of work
The incumbent’s work impact on the timely and efficient delivery of the immediate work unit’s programme.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Secondary school education. Possession of valid driver’s license.
- Two years of work experience as a driver. Flawless, safe driving record
- Working knowledge of English as a language
- National of Zambia.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Good knowledge of the local driving rules and regulations; skills in minor vehicle repair
- A high degree of punctuality ad reliability is required
- Safe driving manner. Good sense of direction and knowledge of local conditions
- Ability to cope with extended working hours
FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing).
Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you need help please contact: Careers@FAO.org
Applications received after the closing date will not be accepted
Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
Closing Date : 8th June, 2021.