CARE Zambia an International Non-Governmental relief and development organization with various projects in Central, Copperbelt, Eastern, Muchinga, Luapula, Lusaka, Northern, North-western, and Southern provinces of Zambia, has the following vacancies available at Head Office in Lusaka
Job Title: Accounts Payable Officer
Reports to: Accounting Coordinator
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
The Accounts Payable Officer is responsible for working with the Shared Service Centre (SSC) for ensuring the timely processing of payments to Country Office (CO) vendors, for monitoring advances (other than sub-awards related) and for ensuring that finance documents are accurate and the finance filing system well-maintained in accordance with CARE policies and procedures.
|Area of delivery
||Scope and expected outcomes
|Accounts Payable Process
- Receive and verify payment requests from requesters, both by email and in hard copy so as to ensure proper monitoring of payment request received from staff through the CO Accounts Payable mail box for processing within maximum 48 hours
- Verify accuracy of documentation and compliance to CARE policies and procedures, ensuring completeness of supporting documentation, accuracy of chart fields, correct budget lines etc.
- Provide prompt feedback and support to requesters to correct errors and fill any gaps in information supplied
- Submit payment requests and advance liquidations support documents to SSC for date entry as per defined schedule, and in accordance with CARE policies and procedures.
- Have regular updates with SSC to ensure that AP transactions are recorded and respond to any additional request for clarification or any other required additional supporting documentation
- Keep track of the statutory obligations checklist and ensure emittances are submitted on time to avoid penalties
- Review and confirm payment selection and submit list of vendors for payment to SSC once pay cycle is completed and ensure payments are timely executed,
- Process electronic or manual payments in a timely manner and in compliance with policies and procedures; Ensuring checks are distributed and transfer documents submitted to the bank and copies of proof of payments are appropriately attached to related payment vouchers and that these are stamped as PAID
- Before month closure, review outstanding balances on Accounts Payable accounts, Accounts Receivable and identify any errors, exceptions, or transactions that required immediate action and report to Accounts Coordinator on timely manner
- Prepare required adjustments on accounts receivable/payable correction and submit to Accounts Coordinator/SSC for further action on timely manner.
- Monitor staff travel and project advances and regular follow-up with staff to ensure complete and timely liquidation of outstanding advances in compliance with CARE guidelines
- Review unposted vouchers and inform concerned approvers for their immediate action
|Banking and Treasury management
- Prepare electronic bank transfers or cheques for settlement of approved payments of staff, vendors, consultants, sub grantees, tax authorities and field offices.
- Review bank statements of assigned bank accounts, analyze bank charges before recording and submission to Accounts Coordinator and Shared Service Centre. Ensure correct and completely recording of bank charges transaction on timely manner.
- Responsible to ensure that checklist register for bank confirmation is timely, properly and accurately filled.
- Issue and record to appropriate fund code/PID receipts to acknowledge deposits of grants, refunds from staff advances and any other miscellaneous receipts on timely manner and ensure banking is done within 24-48 hours of receipts
|Filing and Audit Support
- Ensure all payment vouchers and other related financial documents are well-organized and filed sequentially in a timely manner
- Support internal and external audit teams through prompt retrieval of finance vouchers
Qualification, Experience and Competencies:
- A Minimum of a BA degree in accounting /finance management
Experience and Competencies Required
- At least 2 years’ experience in accounting and fund accounting within development sector organization at a similar level.
- Excellent planning, negotiation, and communication skills – ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing demands of the job
- Knowledge and experience with accounting software package People Soft
- Customer oriented – internal and external
This role is expected to establish and maintain open, professional, and cordial relations with the COs internal and external customers. These include and not limited to.
- Country Office teams; Program, Finance and Program support teams
- Shared Service Centre
- Vendors / Government agencies