CARE Zambia an International Non-Governmental relief and development organization with various projects in Central, Copperbelt, Eastern, Muchinga, Luapula, Lusaka, Northern, North-western, and Southern provinces of Zambia, has the following vacancies available at Head Office in Lusaka
Job Title: Awards and Sub Award Coordinator
Reports to: Finance Manager
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
The primary role of the Awards and Sub Award Coordinator position is to lead, manage and direct overall Award & Sub award Management function of CARE International in Zambia, making links between program, administration and finance teams. The most critical elements of the job requirements are to ensure timely and accurate financial reporting to donors on main grants as well as adequate management of sub grants to partners, ensuring that all operational aspects are in compliance with CARE Financial and Donor grant compliance regulations and budgetary requirements. The Grants and Contract Manager will actively participate in the country office efforts to proactively seek new funding opportunities, working to ensure that program and finance teams are supported during proposal development to develop accurate budgets that contribute their fair share to the Country Office Shared Project Costs (SPC) The Award & Sub award Coordinator will provide timely reports to Budget Holders on grants and sub grants expenditures and provide analysis on program implementation timeline vs. expenditure. With support from the Senior Manager, the Award and Sub Award Coordinator will provide training and ongoing technical support to program staff and partners on compliance with terms and conditions of donor grants and our own sub grants management policy.
The A/SA Coordinator will support program staff to request Fund Codes (FCs), Project IDs (PIDs) and set up grants and sub grants correctly in People Soft, the Country Office’s financial system. The A/SA Coordinator will report to the Sr. Finance Manager.
The Award and Sub Award Coordinator also manages the CO’s sub grantee portfolio and ensures Due Diligence Assessment is conducted for all new and existing subs in line with CARE USA Policy. Hershel works with project teams to prepare the capacity improvement and monitoring plans for all subs, drafts sub grantee agreements for review by the Finance Manager.
|Area of delivery
||Scope and expected outcomes
|Awards and Sub Award Management (Award start up and set up)
||Award Start up and set up
- Work with CMPs in developing and signing of IPIAs ensuring that that the terms and conditions are understood by the CO team & partners
- Review the draft donor agreements for all new and existing awards, ensure understanding of relevant donor rules & regulations by finance staff, project managers, and other key stakeholders.
- Support the project team on donor agreement modifications and submit modifications to SSC for updating in the grants management module.
- Manage award and sub award setup process with SSC within the prescribed timeframe after signing the donor agreements (FC/PID and AID set up)
- Disseminate to appropriate staff new FC/PID/Activity ID/ for the new awards and sub grants or any changes
- Develop and maintain the Country Office grants tracker to monitor project milestones and ensure deadlines on reporting are not missed by the Country Office team.
Sub Grantee Selection and Monitoring
- Ensuring that assessments of organizational capacity and due diligence have been carried out for all of potential & current partners in the country in accordance with the sub agreement management policy, ensure results are documented and submitted to DMC for approval.
- Ensure capacity improvements plans are prepared and executed by the relevant grants staff in the CO and results are documented and filed.,
- Assess training and development needs of partners and conduct capacity building as necessary
- In conjunction with program teams, develop the sub grantee monitoring plan and ensure the plan is adhered to and results of monitoring are documented and shared with DMC and project managers for further action.
- Review the sub grantee agreement modifications, ensure they are accurately done and in line with the donor provisions and CARE policy
- Maintain a sub grants tracker for funds disbursed and liquidations received. An aging analysis of the remaining funds should be prepared on a monthly basis.
- Prepare monthly variance reports (Portfolio Analysis report) for all awards in the CO for submission to the Senior Finance Manager to monitor the financial and spending progress of all awards;
- Participate in Project Review meetings and provide input into the grants management process
Project Close out
- Grants Close out- Support the project managers in preparing for the grants close out processes (final audit, evaluations, disposal of assets)
- Review project commitments ate ensure accruals are done before closure of the project
- Ensure all outstanding receivable /payable after project closure are received from the donor /paid back to the donor
|Budgeting and Forecasting
- Lead in developing proposal budgets and budget narratives, ensuring alignment with CARE and donor requirements (e.g., allowability, allocability, reasonableness and accuracy of cost matching, program income issues, etc);
- Support the Senior Finance Manager in development of CO budget guidelines and coordinates the preparation of annual budgets, consolidation, including forecasts and future years’ budgets;
- Participation in proposals development workshops and meeting to get knowledge of project or program at early stage
- Verify the proposal budget to ensure accuracy on unit costs, formulas, etc… before it is finalized to be shared with CARE Managements for approval and submission to the donor.
- Take lead in project Budget revision as as requested by the donor
- Prepare the monthly budget utilization report (Portfolio Analysis report) highlighting important information such as inception expenditures, contract balance, spending ratio on individual budget
- Analyze the expenditure reports and provide narrative comments such line and also summary on key possible threats and any proposed action;
- Liaise with Budget Holders and provide recommendation to address any donor budget overspending /under spending. Critically examine expenditure reports with budget holders and provide recommendations to address under spending, overspending or unusual expenditure in relation to project phases.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and submission of all donor reports as per the donor reporting template and schedule
- Support the Senior Finance Manager in the preparation of monthly financial management reports; eg, COMFORT, Master Budget, etc.
- Ensure preparation of reconciliation between Project Costing and General Ledger Ensure that any required reclassification between budget lines is executed.
- Review the monthly Budget, Grants and Contracts (BGC) Log report prepared by SSC and ensure action is taken on all exceptions noted in the report before next report.
- Review reconciliation of Grants Receivables/Payable Balance (GRP) balance received from SSC and validate the outstanding balance due or receivable from donor.
- Prepare quarterly Sub grantee dashboard reports for submission to DMC
| Staff Management and capacity building
- Build the capacity of CARE Staff and Implementing Partners/government staff to manage financial resources according to good accounting practice and in compliance with Donor & CARE International standards,
- Support the development and implementation of strategies for bridging the partner capacity gaps that are identified during partner assessments and project implementation.
- Supervise, coach and mentor awards accountants and sub grants officers, ensuring high performance, accountability to meet deadlines and quality standards, and progressive skills strengthening
- Keep track of donor audit schedules and requirements, work with internal and external auditors providing all required information to support audit processes and respond to audit queries and recommendations.
- Support the Senior Finance Manager in the CARE’s annual financial audit and Uniform Guidance audit as required.
Qualification, Experience and Competencies:
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance or Business Management or related field
- Desired: Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant, Certified Management Accountant or other relevant accounting profession certification.
- Must be a paid up member of ZICA – Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Experience in managing donor-funded Grants programs and knowledge of donor policies and procedures
- Ability to work effectively as part of office team and coordinate with a variety of stakeholders, maintaining harmonious and productive working relationships
- Excellent and demonstrable writing and communication skills
- Excellent facilitation skills to conduct training sessions for small, medium and large sized groups
- Excellent skills in computer applications
- Team player- willing to work with country office teams to achieve desirable results
- Customer oriented – internal and external
This role is expected to establish and maintain open, professional, and cordial relations with the COs internal and external customers. These include and not limited to.
- Finance Manager, Finance Coordinator, Awards accountants, Program Managers and other Country Office program staff; Shared Service Center; RMU, program support teams
- Donors / Government agencies / partners, Other organizations (peer organizations)
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.