- Company: Vision Aid Overseas (VAO)
- Location: Zambia
- State: Petauke
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Job Title: Project Officer
Location: Petauke, Zambia
Reports to: Country Director
Contract terms: 20 Months
Leave: 38 days holiday per annum including public holidays
Travel requirements: Extensive domestic travel
About Vision Aid Overseas
Vision Aid Overseas (VAO) is a UK-based charity, with a focus on fighting poverty by transforming access to eye care services in developing countries in Africa. The charity was established in 1985 following a visit of British optical professionals to Tanzania where they held a series of clinics to provide eye tests and spectacles to patients in poor and marginalised communities. Our work focuses on the development of services for uncorrected refractive error and primary eye health. Uncorrected refractive error is the world’s leading cause of avoidable visual impairment, with an estimated 670 million people affected worldwide. To learn more about us visit our website at www.visionaidoverseas.org
The Program Officer, under the direct supervision of the County Director will lead the implementation of all aspects of the program and shall be responsible for ensuring that the program team is energized and committed to the delivery of all program deliverables. The Program officer will support the Country Director in planning, implementing and monitoring the School Eye Health program in Kabwe District to enable it to meet its underlisted objectives:
- To equip teachers with the knowledge of common eye conditions and basic skills in early identification of eye conditions.
- To determine the prevalence of eye conditions in all learners from grades 1-9.
- To develop a referral system for learners with eye health problems.
- To generate awareness among parents, teachers and learners about RE and spectacle wearing compliance.
- To establish school-based and community-based eye screening systems.
- To provide affordable quality corrective spectacles to learners with significant RE.
- Ensure value for money in all aspects of the program implementation.
- Ensure timely planning and implementation of all activities of the Project.
- Ensure enhanced system for routine data collection and M&E feedback to the Country Director.
- Ensure challenges and lessons learned are adequately documented and incorporated.
- Collect case studies and photos for submission alongside quarterly reports.
- Facilitate community mobilization and sensitization in project locations.
- Conduct interviews and FGDs to collect feedback from project beneficiaries.
- Work collaboratively with relevant partners (DHO, DEBS, Kabwe General Hospital) to ensure quality project planning, resource and logistics availability and management of activities.
- Work collaboratively with Country Office to assure proper financial projections, reporting, and compliance with project protocol.
- Coordinate with DHO and Kabwe General Hospital to ensure effectiveness of the MEHC.
- Facilitate the distribution of glasses and ensure continuum of care for referred patients.
- Monthly update and quarterly progress reports
- Case studies and photos
- Monthly and quarterly work Plans
Qualification, Skills and Knowledge requirements
- Three or more years’ experience in program management and implementation in the non-profit or private sectors. Preferably in a technical Project, community development and/or youth-focused programming.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, development studies or social science or a related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Outstanding project management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, work independently and take initiative, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated high-level interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships internally and externally with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic, social and political issues.
- Demonstrated technical expertise in such Projects as: project, budget and resource management. Computer proficiency in general office software (i.e., Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook)
- Excellent writing skills. Demonstrated ability to draft proposals, reports, and results of research or other organizational documents with minimal supervision. Fluency in local area language is a MUST have.
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills. Ability to professionally engage and work with key Project stakeholders in various settings including affiliate leadership and staff, donors, peer organizations and other key stakeholders in the National government ministries of Health and Education.
- Experience managing staff and working in a team-oriented manner to achieve program objectives.
- USAID project management and proposal development experience strongly preferred.
All applications should be addressed to the Country Director and submitted by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Friday 11th June 2021 at 17h. All applications received after this date will not be entertained.