- Company: GIZ
- Location: Zambia
- State: Mansa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
The Programme “Enabling Access to Justice, Civil Society Participation and Transparency” (EnACT) is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and will be promoting dialogue and cooperation between Government institutions and civil society organizations (CSOs) on government reform processes, transparency and poverty reduction issues. The Programme aims at improving the Zambian population’s access to accountable institutions, to justice and to transparent government decision-making processes.
A new focus of the Programme will be to support the Zambian Government in its fight against corruption. This will be done, partially, by strengthening accountability institutions. Another important avenue is the empowerment of civil society organisations and citizens in the use of existing complaints mechanisms. Constructive dialogue between citizens and state authorities in cases of intransparent use of public resources shall be encouraged, this approach will be piloted specifically in Luapula province, with a strong focus on the educational sector.
In order to strengthen civil society actors in Luapula province in their role as intermediaries between State institutions and citizens, GIZ is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Civil Society and Citizen Engagement Advisor (based in Mansa)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
CSO Capacity Development:
- assess potential and needs for capacity development and organizational strengthening of civil society organisations (CSOs) and CSO networks in Luapula province;
- identify key partner organisations (CSOs as well as grassroots organisations, such as Parents-Teachers-Associations etc.) and areas where technical support is required;
- implement capacity development measures, specifically targeting citizen engagement, sensitization on human and citizens’ rights as well as on public resource accountability;
- encourage cooperation and networking amongst different institutions wherever possible;
Support to Citizen Engagement Processes:
- support CSOs in empowering citizens via context-sensitive, rights-based approaches;
- find approaches to strengthen vulnerable groups in addressing their needs, specifically in access to education, this includes a strong focus on empowering women and girls as well as people with disabilities and working with organisations of self-representation;
- support CSOs to document cases of in-transparent use of public resources and/or corruption in the sector of education in Luapula province, grassroots organisations and citizens and use existing complaints mechanisms to bring these cases to the attention of the responsible authorities;
- organize dialogue formats with duty bearers and state institutions at, e.g. provincial level, in order to encourage collaborative approaches to find solutions which can improve service delivery in the education sector, especially for vulnerable groups,
- document lessons from successful and unsuccessful engagements in order to use them for National policy-making;
- feed lessons into monitoring mechanisms on national anti-corruption strategies and policies, complaints systems etc.
- Feed into internal knowledge management systems as well as the M&E system;
- Participate in team events (also virtually) and share lessons from the ground with project management and colleagues
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Law, Project Management or a related discipline
- At least five years of professional experience in a comparable position,
- In-depth knowledge of rights-based approaches, especially with a focus on women’s rights as well as rights for people with disabilities,
- Experience in working in the field of institutional strengthening, specifically in the non-profit sector,
- Experience in assessing capacity needs as well as implementing a range of different capacity development measures with non-profit institutions,
Other knowledge and additional competences:
- Must possess excellent networking and communication skills as well as a creative and solution-focused personality
- Must have a strong commitment to fostering citizens’ empowerment as well as the use of rights-based approaches
- Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Fluency in English, both written and oral
- Must be willing to travel within Zambia
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract, on 01 August 2021. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters electronically quoting GIZ_ENACT_CSOADV in the subject line to: jobzambia@GIZ.de by 17:00 hrs on Wednesday, 30th June 2021. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Cover letters must be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position and explain in the second paragraph your experience with communication, facilitation or graphic design.
- CVs must not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. must not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.