- Company: Maryland Global Initiative Corporation – ZAMPHIA Survey
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Since the 1970s, the University of Maryland, Baltimore has been engaged in critical global health initiatives around the world. In September 2009, the Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) was formed as a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) to help support the implementation of UMB international programs. UMB, through MGIC, currently has offices in Botswana, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Zambia. MGIC’s administrative operations support the research and clinical programs of the School of Medicine, Institute of Human Virology (IHV) and Center for International Health, Education & Biosecurity (Cheb), and other UMB entities.
Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation (MGIC) Baltimore, USA, with funding from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), is implementing the Zambia Population-based HIV Impact Assessment (ZAMPHIA) project. This is a nationwide survey aimed to assess the prevalence and incidence of the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) infection in the Zambian population, assessing the coverage and impact of HIV services at the population level, and characterizing HIV-related risk behaviors using a nationally representative sample of adults aged 15 years and older.
The incumbent will coordinate all aspects of demand creation and mobilization of selected communities and districts for the survey. S/He will work to support the coordination and implementation of the ZAMPHIA 2020 community engagement strategies that encourage participation assuring the community of confidentiality, safety and, security. The position is expected to work with multisector stakeholders at district and community levels. S/He will monitor to ensure that the communities are aware of the survey and willing to participate. S/he will ensure that the surveillance and tracking system put in place to identify any messages that may be misleading or harmful to participants on the survey is functional. This position is 100 percent fieldwork. The position holder will be expected to be mobile and ready to move on-demand and live in harsh conditions.
- Identifies stakeholders, opinion leaders and community gate keepers in target communities
- Lead community mobilization efforts at provincial, district levels and community/household level
- Partners with civil service organizations or other entities that can mobilize and ensure active participation in the survey
- Recruits, trains and supervisors the community mobilisers, adolescent mobilisers, community influencers in target communities
- Mobilizes targeted communities, creates awareness and uses creative messaging to disseminate messages using local media and other innovative strategies
- Actively Advocates for the project with local authorities, village leader, and civic/ religious
- Develops and implements a plan to monitor community acceptance of survey activities
- Implement knowledge, attitude and practice surveys to provide inputs for the development of the questionnaires and methodology.
- Contribute to in content specific media messaging that relates and encourages participation on the survey
- Motivate and encourage survey teams and provide constructive feedback and oversight at grass root level
- Ensure community entry procedures are completed. Lead the team in making courtesy calls and visits to provincial, confirm arrangements with facilities and District Health Directors prior to visits
- Ensure the team is adequately equipped and be responsible for logistics involving community mobilisers
- Support the day-to-day operations of the field team.
- Track team progress ensure efficient completion of demand generation assignments at Household level.
Qualifications, Qualities & Abilities:
- Grade Twelve (12) Certificate with Five (5) O’ Levels
- Bachelor’s in social sciences, public health, or any health-related course.
- Knowledge of Zambia health sector
- Strong experience and understanding of integrated community health programs including HIV prevention, care, and treatment services
- Strong understanding of engaging with communities and partnership development
- Experience in strategy development and planning
- Extensive experience of implementing Community Based Programs
- Excellent stakeholder engagement skills
- Excellent analytic skills coupled with good report writing
- Ability to multitask and work with multidisciplinary teams
- Strong work ethic, high level of dedication
- Self-starter, problem solver, innovative and can work with minimum supervision
- Experience working in a similar role on a Population-based HIV Impact Assessments (PHIA) field survey is a plus
- Proficient use of the computer (self-learn, online courses)
- Knowledge of medical terminology (office training)Should have exceptional reading and comprehending skills and experience working with HIV/ AIDS projects
- Should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Should be able to demonstrate the good analytical and researching ability
- Should be strong organizers and good problem solvers with an ability to multitask.
- Should be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Able to maintain high levels of confidentiality
- Should be knowledgeable on the culture of the region
- Must be able to work during evenings and weekends
- Leadership skills with ability to direct, delegate, motivate and inspire other team members
- Fluent in English written and verbal communication skills.
- Competence in health community mobilization be fluent in Luvale and additionally speak Kaonde or Lunda or both is a must.
Closing Date : 12th July, 2021.