- Company: Media 365 Limited
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Zambia
Location: Media 365 Offices (Lusaka) with occasional travel as required
Status: 1 Year Contract, Full time
Reports to: Project Manager/ Producer (Content)
Media 365: Ideas that Inform, Educate and Inspire
Who are we?
Based in Lusaka, Zambia, we have worked with local and global clients in the public, private and non-profit sectors since 2008. We design and implement projects and campaigns using a design process that creates impact.
As a Content Researcher you support print, audio and visual productions by finding out details of the production’s subject matter (e.g context, cast/characters, locations and other relevant background information). You’ll then create research packs/briefs for the Project Manager/Producer from which they can make the production. This involves various research techniques such as interviewing people, reading documents and using social media. Once the data is collected, you will then create detailed, engaging and compelling research briefs that will form the foundation of the content for the show. You may also provide other logistical and practical support to the productions. A content researcher is a great career pathway to other areas in the creative industry, such as being a script-writer or producer.
Being a Content Researcher is a key part of any production because you find the people, places, facts, figures and stories that are at the heart of every TV, radio or print piece
We are seeking an individual with strong communication and organisational skills, who loves people, has a customer-oriented and can-do attitude, and is determined to get to the bottom of a story. The Content Researcher should be inquisitive, energetic, flexible, and a storyteller, with great summarising and writing skills. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
What will you do?
Under the guidance of the Producer/Project Manager, you provide research support to help develop the story for the production. This includes:
- Helping to develop content ideas and find stories when a content production has been commissioned
- Carrying out research duties such as interviewing cast/characters, reviewing background documents and books, watching interview and/or archival footage, investigating social media profiles
- Finding locations and assess them for suitability and cost, i.e. “location reconnaissance”, including securing location releases, filming permits with private owners and local authorities as relevant.
- Performing background checks on people
- Fact-checking figures and statistics to be used in productions, to ensure that it is as accurate as possible
- Handling casting for audio and visual productions, including developing casting briefs and casting strategies
- Organising logistical arrangements such as organising travel, catering and expenses for cast/contributions, ensuring consent forms and all other release forms are completed and filed securely
- Being first point of contact with cast and contributors on location/ set. Including briefing them before recording commences and making sure they are well taken care of throughout the production
- Identifying and managing the delivery and storage of materials that will be needed to tell the story in a compelling way such as props, archive photos, music)
- Negotiating use and fees for copyright clearances (and be aware of legal issues relating to all materials used in the productions)
- Presenting research findings to decision makers (e.g. Producer and/or Project Manager) in a detailed and interesting way (in both written and oral format)
- Drafting scripts for the productions
- Fact checking final scripts for accuracy in post -production
- Self-shoot interviews, cutaways and take promotional photos for Media 365 and/or the client in use in marketing
- Live location logging (writing down time codes and sync notes during filming) and continuity
- *Any other duties as assigned
What do you need to demonstrate?
- Full Grade 12 certificate with at least a merit in English
- Excellent written communication and demonstrated evidence of this, with the ability to tell a compelling story
- At least 2 years previous experience in a media, advertising, marketing, publishing or production space, in any suitable capacity
- Strong research and IT skills
- Ability to generate new ideas and accommodate the ideas of others
- An instinct for a good story
- Creative and have an analytical and editorial mindset
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism, broadcasting, English, film, public relations, history, theatre and politics
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Knowledge of legal and ethical principles in relation to media and copyright, as well as health and safety procedures
- Deeply interested in people and stories
- Able to interact with a wide range of people and have a personality that likes engaging with people
- Curious and inquisitive
- Confident and a go-getter
- Patient, diligent and resourceful
- Visual thinking and the ability to be adaptable, yet methodical
- Be articulate, motivated and ambitious about our and our client’s goals
- Highly organized and able to multi-task whilst maintaining clear and proactive flow of communication and ownership of tasks;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact with diverse colleagues and external audiences;
- Self-starter and highly motivated; capable of working independently and collaboratively;
- High levels of flexibility and comfort working on multiple projects on a range of topics simultaneously, and under pressure
To apply please complete the application form by using this link demonstrating your suitability for the position by Friday 16th July, 2021
Please note only applications sent via the application form will be reviewed. CVs and cover letters are not accepted. Interviews will be conducted between 26th July to August 6th. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be notified. For any queries please contact email@example.com. Thank you!