- Company: Agova
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
FOR THE POSITION OF BUSINESS ADVISORS FOR USAID ZAMBIA ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT AND GROWTH ENHANCED (EDGE) PROJECT
REF: USAID EDGE-BA/09/2021
Agova Zambia Ltd.
Job Title: Business Advisor
Contract Length: 12 Months
Contract Type: Part-Time
Agova is an impact-driven consultancy that finds business value in addressing social challenges. Since 2014, Agova has been delivering management and technical advice to actors in the business sector in Zambia to develop business models and norms that increase economic, social and environmental prosperity. We aim to leverage capital, data and innovative ideas to develop a sustainable form of poverty reduction; one that focuses on creating win-win, or ‘shared value’, business models within our client organisations such that commercial imperatives can be whilst improving the livelihoods of their low-income customer and supplier segments. Agova has been registered in Zambia since August 2014 and has been a venture supported by Engineers without Borders since 2011.
The USAID Zambia Enterprise Development and Growth Enhanced (EDGE) Activity is a five-year activity aimed at increasing the profitability for agricultural small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) by addressing their key investment constraints on access to finance, limited business management skills and technology, and access to markets, thereby increasing SMEs’ productivity and ability to create new jobs. The EDGE Activity is implemented by ACDI/VOCA and its partners Agova, Open Capital Advisor and Dimagi.
Over the next five years, EDGE will boost SMEs’ competitiveness by addressing key constraints that they face. The aactivity will use a facilitative approach and work closely with, and through, local partners to drive lasting systemic changes that create sustainable impact at scale. EDGE will also apply its inclusive market systems approach, which addresses the root causes, rather than the symptoms, of a poorly performing market. Over its life of project, EDGE is expected to support 450 agricultural SMEs across six (6) different value chains namely: Poultry, Aquaculture, Groundnuts, Honey, Horticulture (annual vegetables and fruits) and Animal feed (sunflower, soybeans, maize, etc.) in the Lusaka, Central and Eastern Provinces of Zambia, which will become the main vehicle to promote economic growth in the agriculture sector.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST APPLICATION PROCESS
Agova is seeking to procure the services of Business Advisors (BAs) to provide technical assistance to small and medium enterprises (SMEs) on the USAID/Zambia EDGE project. Expressions of Interest are required from appropriately qualified entrepreneurs who can demonstrate the capacity to undertake and commit to the focus and scope of this project: those who can demonstrate a high potential to deliver positive social impact, have strong demonstrable knowledge of business management skills leading to the creation of improved measurable business performance of small enterprises and sustainable employment opportunities for all, especially youths and women. Businesses / applicants must have a demonstrated experience / potential to improve business profitability and how to improve SME profitability, integrate resilient approaches and have strong networks and connectivity potential.
Using a training of trainers (TOT) methodology, Agova and their collaborating partners will provide practical training for the orientation of BAs. The TOT sessions will develop BAs’ capacities to provide direct consultant services to agricultural SMEs. The training and support to BAs will include the following: concept of value chain and its importance, business record keeping, business planning and budgeting, contract negotiation, leadership and team management, entrepreneurship, customer service, and other soft skills.
BAs ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The BA plays a key role in the implementation of the EDGE project as a support system for growing small and medium enterprises (SMEs). BAs will be working directly with SMEs and provide them with capacity building by developing and strengthening their skills, abilities, processes and resources that they need to survive, grow, adapt, and thrive in a fast-changing environment. The duties and responsibilities of the Business Advisors will include but not limited to the following:
- Provide technical assistance and support to SMEs. This support will be provided through training, coaching & mentoring, site visits, all of which seek to help SMEs improve and grow their businesses.
- Responsible for coordinating opportunities for the SMEs that relate to the EDGE activity’s goals of accessing finance, increasing access to markets, employment creation etc. For example, linking an SME to a relevant off-taker or facilitating a grant opportunity, coordinated through the SME Development and ACDI VOCA teams.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be an active and registered local entrepreneur in any of the supported value chain operating in the Lusaka, Central and Eastern provinces of Zambia.
- Knowledgeable of the agricultural sector and experience operating in at least one of the following value chains: Aquaculture, poultry, groundnuts, honey, animal feed (soybeans, sunflower, maize) and horticulture (Annual vegetables and fruits).
- At least five (5) years proven experience in business management and knowledge of business operations and strategic planning.
- Must you have experience of providing consulting services, training, coaching, mentorship and guidance / advice to agricultural SMEs.
- Should have demonstrated success and acumen in any business that relates to the supported value chains.
- Exceptional ability to identify future business opportunities and mitigate risks.
- Experience in facilitating business relationships (e.g. market linkages), facilitating financing opportunities, business development, etc..
- Must have a minimum of diploma in Business Management, Accountancy, Economics, Agricultural Economics, Engineering or any other diploma relevant to the supported value chains.
- Excellent communication and motivational skills.
- Must be computer literate in Microsoft office i.e., Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Youths and women entrepreneurs are highly encouraged to apply.
Interested individuals or businesses who have experience in carrying out similar assignments should send the application and relevant documents to admin@Agovasv.com by end of day 26st September 2021, clearly indicating “EDGE Business Advisor Application” and must be addressed to:
The SME Development Specialist,
Agova Zambia Ltd,
Plot No 1277. Lubuto Road, Rhodes Park, Lusaka-Zambia.