- Company: GIZ
- Location: Zambia
- State: Choma
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
Under the Green Innovation Centres for the Agriculture and Food Sector in Zambia (GIC) Project (part of the Special Initiative ONE WORLD – No Hunger), GIZ provides support to the dairy value chain in Zambia’s Southern Province focusing on small-scale dairy farmers and their cooperatives. Through this project GIZ is looking to train up to 10,000 smallholder dairy farmers in collaboration with the government extension structure. For this purpose, GIZ established three Practical Dairy Learning Farms (PDLFs) to be run by Dairy Cooperatives and offer short term training courses on topics in animal husbandry and milk production, animal health, fodder production, etc. As part of this farmer outreach strategy through the PDLFs, GIZ will also offer practical trainings to farmers through farmer run Farmer Field Schools (FFS). Through these training courses, the project aims to improve productivity and income levels as well as to prepare small-scale farmers to better manage external threats such as livestock diseases or the effects of climate change.
In this context, the project is seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
Practical Dairy Learning Farms (PDLF) and Extension Advisor – based in Choma
The PDLF and Extension Advisor will provide operational support to the Practical Dairy Learning Farms helping to establish high quality training courses and good business management practices to ensure their sustainable operations. The advisor will also support the establishment and running of the Farmer Field Schools. He/she will be responsible for all follow-ups of all training in the PDLFs and FFSs and support the review of training materials relevant to the PDLFs and FFSs.
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Supporting the sustainable operationalisation of the PDLFs
- Supporting the establishment and operations of the Green Innovation Centres supported Farmer Field Schools
- Preparation and review of necessary training materials for the GIC farmer outreach approach
Supporting the sustainable operationalisation of the PDLFs
- Providing in support in the development and implementation of a sustainable business model for the PDLFs
- Supporting the operations management of the three PDLFs for both, the academic operations and the administrative/business operations
- Setting up minimum standards for good dairy management practices, training facilities and capacity of the trainers for the PDLF
- Supporting the dairy cooperatives in the running of the PDLFs ensuring staff are empowered with the necessary skills and knowledge for the operations of the PDLF
- Facilitating engagement of MFL and other relevant stakeholders with the PDLFs for possible partnerships and sustainability
- Providing ongoing general advisory support to the PDLFs
Supporting the establishment and operations of the Green Innovation Centres supported Farmer Field Schools
- Supporting the MFL in the establishment of Farmer Field Schools in GIC project sites
- Supporting the monitoring of FFS activities and implementation of the approach to ensure adoption and sustainability of the model
- Ensuring linkage of the FFS to the PDLFs
Preparation and review of necessary training materials for the GIC farmer outreach approach
- Designing/reviewing the PDLF and FFS curriculum and ensuring quality management
- Supporting PDLFs in the development of training aids such as pictograms, charts, etc.
Other duties/additional tasks
- Regularly reporting on activities and developments as well as on field activities
- Participating in periodic review and reflection meetings and giving updates on the PDLFs
- Carrying out any other duties as agreed with management
Qualifications and requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Animal Science, Veterinary Sciences or a related field
- At least 3-4 years’ professional experience in a comparable position
- Practical experience in vocational training and/or participatory extension methodologies
- Experience in farm/ business management
- Experience working with small holder farmers is an added advantage
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Good organisational skills and structured working methods to prioritise workload and provide high quality and timely deliverables
- Ability to work independently and target-oriented
- Willingness to travel to remote areas over 60% of the time
- Very good working knowledge of ICT and computer applications (MS Word; Outlook; Excel; Teams; PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- Valid Class C Driving Licence
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract, as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters, electronically quoting GIZ_GIC_PDLF_CHM in the subject line to: jobzambia@GIZ.de by 17:00 hrs on Thursday, 7th October 2021. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
- Cover letters MUST be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position and explain in the second paragraph why you would be the best suited candidate.
- CVs MUST not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
- Certificates, qualifications, etc. MUST not be attached to the application.
- Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.