- Company: John Snow Inc.
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Zambia
JOB ADVERT FOR THE DIRECTOR-CLINICAL SERVICES
The Supporting an AIDS-Free Era (SAFE) Project in Zambia is a five-year project led by John Snow Research Inc in partnership with Abt Associates and mothers2mothers. Its aim is to reduce HIV mortality, morbidity and transmission, while improving nutrition outcomes and family planning integration in three provinces: Central, Copperbelt, and North-Western. USAID SAFE works with the GRZ, private sector and civil society institutions at the national, provincial, and district level to increase access to ART for HIV positive adults and children, reduce the incidence of new infections, improve Nutritional Assessment, Counselling and Services (NACS) and family planning services, and increase the capacity of local health institutions to better serve affected populations.
The project is inviting self-motivated, committed and passionate Zambians who are appropriately qualified to apply for the position of Director of Clinical Services for immediate appointment.
Position Title: Director of Clinical Services
Position Type: Fixed Term Contract
Location: Lusaka, Zambia with about 50-60% travel to supported provinces.
Reports to: Deputy Chief of Party -Technical/Health Services.
Job description: The National Clinical Director is the chief clinician within the project who works hand in hand with the Deputy Chief of Party incharge of technical programs to ensure that the more than 300, 000 clients on the ART programme continue receiving quality services and tat their treatment outcomes remain favourable. The Director ensures that the continuum of care remains optimal by collaborating with clinicians, support staff and project leaders at different levels and in different portfolios of work. S/he also maintains multiple lines of technical linkages with MOH and other stakeholders in addition to the provision of continuous mentorship to other clinicians in the regions and facilities on latest developments in HIV medicine and other adjunct services.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
- Provide technical direction to clinical teams in ART ((Doctors, clinical officer, nurses, laboratory scientists, pharmacists etc)
- Participate in the development of treatment guidelines with the MOH, collect treatment guidelines from MOH, distribute them and ensure that staff in every SAFE supported facility are properly trained and adhere to these guidelines;
- Represent the project in the Treatment TWG and other sub-committees needing your presence at MOH and other treatment platforms
- Strengthen mechanisms for testing and treating targeted clients including exposed babies, adolescents and adults;
- Promote index case testing;
- Work with the National ART Coordinator to facilitate training and mentorship for clinicians in EMTCT, pediatric and adolescent ART in all SAFE supported programmes;
- With other specialists, attend the Treatment TWG coordinated by MOH;
- Provide updates on new development in ART to project staff;
- Conduct operations research and encourage the use of implementation science in ART;
- Working closely with the Nutritional Advisor ensure that NACS are integrated into ART;
- Support the Family Planning Advisor to integrate FP into HIV services;
- Support the Clinical and Community Health Directors operating at regional level to actualize selected DSD models of patient care;
- Actualize the collaborative work between TB and ART departments to make bidirectional referrals to rule out co-morbidity of HIV and TB at facility level;
- Ensure that all clients have their laboratory investigations and receive their results timely
- Inform the project leadership about any form of drug resistance that you observe;
- Support provincial based clinical directors, community health directors and other subnational entities to ensure that all patients are retained on treatment and that they get positive outcomes from treatment
- Work with district and Project nutritionists to assess all patients for nutritional support, where it is needed
- Closely work with the M&E unit to compile trends in the UNAIDS strategy of 95, 95, 95
- Provide hands on mentorship to other members of staff at the facility on new developments in ART particularly in paediatrics and adolescent age groups;
- Ensure that all targets for cervical cancer, ECD and VMMC are met;
- Complete monthly and quarterly reports as well as participate in DQA activities;
- Any other duty assigned by the Chief of Party.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Medical Doctor with MBChB, MMed (Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases or Paediatrics) or equivalent with additional training and experience in ART and registered with HPCZ;
- Additionally, a recognized MPH or MBA-Health Care Management will be an added advantage;
- A minimum of 10 years post qualification experience working in both urban and rural areas;
- Wide experience in mentoring clinicians in ART;
- Ability to lead and work in teams including clinical mentorship as a team leader;
- Good communication skills and personality appropriate for mentoring health workers and provide on the job training;
- Deep knowledge of both WHO and the Zambian treatment guidelines;
- Able to work smoothly with MOH, GRZ hospitals and District Health ART coordinators and private health facilities;
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and prioritize activities in support of Project goals and deadlines
- Willingness to support sub-national teams when called upon.
John Snow, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Closing Date : 22nd October, 2021.