- Company: WWF
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Graduates Jobs in Zambia
POSITION TITLE: JUNIOR HYDROLOGIST
LOCATION: LUSAKA, ZAMBIA
REPORTS TO: WATER RESOURCES MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
1. Summary of Position
The main aim of the work is to provide inputs on freshwater priority areas within the context of a changing climate for inclusion in ongoing terrestrial conservation planning and Strategic Environmental Assessments across the region encompassing the Cubango, Cuito, and Cuando Rivers. This will be done through three consultancies targeting the following
- Data compilation of conservation features, mapping & validation with Angolan institutions and experts
- Mapping of Water Source Areas
- Freshwater analysis
This is a technical position within a fast moving and effective conservation organization, sought to connect our work on species and habitat conservation mapping and validation to the hydrological properties of ecosystems through mapping of Water source areas and an analysis of the Freshwater dynamics of the Cubango, Cuito and Cuando river basins. Key to this task will be ensuring the conservation of critical wetlands habitats throughout the basin as well as the identification of key ecosystems which are critical for their advancement to be Water Resources Protected Areas
- Essential Functions
- Contribute to Influencing strategic environmental assessments and water allocation regimes of unregulated stretches of the basin to maximize opportunities aimed at building a shared narrative for the Cuando basin
- Supervise consultants for data compilation of conservation features, mapping and validation with Angolan institutions and experts, freshwater analysis and mapping of water source areas in the Cuando Basin;
- Undertake development of maps and analyze spatial data through the use of GIS software and satellite imagery
- Support the development and validation of hydrological models in the Cuando basin.
- Contribute to the identification of sources of funding and lead or participate in the development of project proposals.
Responsibilities and Scope
Support the technical component of WWF Zambia Freshwater Programme in the Cubango, Cuito and Cuando basin with a particular emphasis on the following:
- Technical implementation of mapping of waters source areas of the project area.
- Support the work on Freshwater analysis aimed at combining the data on conservation features and prioritizing areas of high freshwater conservation value.
- Support hydrological e-flows assessments in the Cuando basin with the teams of consultants.
- Conduct data evaluation and technical review of reports of ad hoc consultants
- Ensure technical documents are written professionally and in such ways that are accessible to a wide variety of stakeholders.
Support to Management:
- Provide support in cooperating closely with other offices in the WWF network, when developing positions on policies affecting freshwater ecosystems in the Basin.
- Represent WWF Freshwater Program in relevant events or arenas.
- Provide assistance in any additional related duties as requested or needed.
Master’s degree in hydrology, natural and water resources management, fluvial geomorphology or in any other academic field relevant to water resources management.
Minimum Experience and Skills:
- 5 years practical working experience in water resources management, and/or hydropower development/management and experience working with state agencies and NGOs;
- Experience with mapping tools such as QGIS, ARC GIS
- Strong technical knowledge of Hydrology, Integrated Water Resource Management, Meteorology, Sediment transport, Geomorphology
- Knowledge of environmental flow literature and modelling techniques required especially for Sub-Saharan region.
- Strong organizational, data gathering, Report writing and analytical skills
- Experiences with multi-stakeholder dialogue facilitation, conflict resolution and negotiation relating to hydropower development;
- Proven ability to support national dialogue processes and interact with a range of stakeholders in cross cultural and bi-lingual settings;
- Experience working with communities and various stakeholders in the water sector
- Excellent adherence to WWF’s working ethics of demonstrating reliability, communicating constructively, listening actively, sharing openly and willingly, cooperating and pitching in to help, exhibiting flexibility, showing commitment to the team, working as a problem-solver, and lastly, treating others in a respectful and supportive manner
- Flexibility and ability to meet deadlines, work independently and respond to opportunities
- Ability to work and communicate effectively, verbally and in writing with a wide range of people in a multicultural environment;
- Very good command of the English language is necessary; knowledge of Portuguese is a major advantage.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
All of the above plus:
- Solid grasp of the key technical and management issues within the energy hydro market. Knowledge of markets and regulatory framework in Southern Africa a plus.
- Excellent knowledge in the fields of river basin planning and management, hydrology, wetlands initiatives in the basin and fluvial geomorphology.
- In-depth knowledge of Zambezi Basin river policies and legislation in at least two of the following fields: environment/water, energy development
- Knowledge of GIS application is an asset and good skills in Microsoft Office.
- Familiarity with and networking contacts in the Zambezi River Basin
Deadline for receiving applications is 09th December, 2021.