- Company: Mary Begg Health Services
- Location: Zambia
- State: Solwezi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Zambia
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
At MBHS, an occupational health (OH) Technician works closely with the occupational health doctors and occupational health nurses to provide high quality care to all clients at MBHS. They are often the first point of contact for all clients, visitors and health care professionals accessing MBHS OH services.
Our occupational health Technician conducts herself/himself in a professional manner and always demonstrates good customer service towards all our clients, visitors, health professionals and MBHS employees.
All MBHS OH Technicians must provide client-centered, compassionate, competent and quality care. They must adhere to the MBHS’s Code of Conduct and must practice safely and ethically at all times according to the MBHS standards.
Must have a Grade 12 certificate with a merit or above in English language and Mathematics.
Training in Audiometry, Spirometry and Vision testing with appropriate certification will be an asset
- Must demonstrate competence in effectively using the spirometer, audiometer and vision equipment and ability to understand the parameters of abnormal readings.
- Inform the OH doctor immediately of any abnormal test results.
- Ensure all OH screening results are signed, dated and filed in the correct client’s medical folder.
- Promote high quality screening by following respective procedures as directed by the OH doctor.
- Assist with triage of clients/staff who use the OH service by conducting weight and height checks if requested to do so and checking vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, random blood sugar) if trained to do so.
- Act as a chaperone for female clients when requested.
- Maintain hygienic and safe work environments in compliance with the department’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Attend clinic and department meetings when scheduled and raise any issues with regards to improvement in OH service or client care.
- Ensure that OH client files are complete and have necessary documentation present – like consent forms, pre-employment, periodic and exit screening & examination, laboratory results, and any diagnostic testing, any fitness to work certificates and injury on duty reports and follow-up assessments – before being presented to the OH doctor.
- Ensure that all follow up visits for client assessments are carried out in a timely manner.
- Conduct daily calibration of spirometers and sign and file appropriately.
- Carry out weekly biological calibration of audiometers, and sign and file appropriately.
- Carry out daily listening checks of audiometers and the background noise checks in the booths.
- Carry out otoscope examinations prior to audiometry testing.
All calibration print-outs must be signed.
- Report to the Unit Leader/OH Doctor/ CMO where OH equipment needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Continually demonstrate adherence to the Infection Control Policy, especially maintaining proper hand washing technique. Use and maintain correct personal protective equipment (PPE) where appropriate.
- Support and/or mentor new members of staff as directed by the Unit Leader.
- Promote good health and client-centered care through patient education on recognizing occupational hazards.
- Attend mandatory role specific in-house training, as directed by the unit leader or training coordinator.
- Comply with MBHS sickness and absenteeism policy.
- Comply with the MBHS uniform policy.
- Ensure client demographic information is correctly recorded on the computerized system as well as documentation.
- Assist with maintaining OH department registers for services, including but not exclusive to hearing loss, pre-employment periodicals, exit medicals, follow-ups, injury on duty and fitness to work registers if required by supervisor.
- Provide monthly reporting on the number of cases seen and any other OH statistics if instructed by the Chief Medical Officer.
- Ensure all incident and adverse event reporting is carried out according to MBHS SOP
Closing Date : 24th June, 2022.