Bantu Recruitment Agency invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the position of MECHANICAL ENGINEER, on behalf of their client.
Overall Job Purpose:
Reporting to the Assistant Technical Manager, the candidate will be responsible for assisting in the establishment of preventative and responsive mechanical fixed plant maintenance within the mine process plant: to ensure maximum operational performance is achieved in a safe and cost-effective manner. The duties will include but are not limited to the following.
Specific Job Responsibilities:
The position of mechanical fixed plant maintenance engineer will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Provide guidance on the installation of new mechanical fixed plant operational equipment and systems, replacement of old, faulty or redundant mechanical fixed plant operational equipment and systems, inside the process plant as per the company and vendor’s safety and quality specifications.
- Provide guidance on the mechanical fixed plant equipment to have the correct protection and safety parameter settings for safe and effective operation.
- Provide guidance on the companies planned and preventative maintenance schedules and procedures
- for fixed plant mechanical equipment.
Reporting and Record Keeping:
- Report all incidents immediately to your direct supervisor.
- Provide guidance on all safety logbooks regarding inspections and authorizations logbook procedure.
- Provide guidance on stock levels of mechanical fixed plant equipment to be held in the warehouse and report all defective or substandard equipment to your direct supervisor.
Tools and Audit:
- Provide guidance on the correct type of all hand tools, required for the work within the fixed plant mechanical section.
- Provide guidance on the safe usage of all mobile / hydraulic tools, required for the work within your section.
- Provide guidance on the reporting of defective tools, the correct usage and control of hand tools.
- Provide guidance on all mine site mechanical fixed plant drawings to be kept up to date and verified for redlined updates to be submitted to the drafting section for redrafting.
Training and Development:
- Provide knowledge and skills training for onsite personal, through our VFL program.
- Assist in identifying of needs for specialised training requirements within the fixed plant area of responsibility.
- Assist in implementation of a reliable Zambian development program [succession planning] to guide and mentor upcoming leaders in the section, ensuring that record keeping is transparent and available for auditing purposes.
- Assist in planning, coordinating, training and supervising all fixed plant mechanical functions. This includes safety, scheduling, engineering specifications, material control and day-to-day direction on technical information.
- Assist in creating of downtime / lost time, reports in a timely manner and presented to senior staff after each substantial production loss (due to equipment failure in the fixed plant), for evaluation and escalation to senior management.
- Any other duties as directed by your direct supervisor.
Job Specific Competencies:
- Provide technical guidance, recommendations and inspections on fixed plant mechanical maintenance items as required.
- Assist in troubleshoot / fault find and identifying of problems within the mechanical fixed plant maintenance section.
- Demonstrated ability to work safely and improve team safety awareness.
- Ability to quickly adapt to technological changes in mechanical equipment maintenance.
- Demonstrated applications of continuous improvement plans.
Key Job Attributes:
- Good Leadership qualities.
- Participate and contribute in safe practice and environment awareness.
- Demonstrate personal commitment in regards to safety and environmental practices.
- Identification of potential hazards and ensuring appropriate action is taken.
- Maintain a high standard of efficiency, safety and effectiveness.
- Raise, discuss and resolve safety issues at regular meetings.
- Identify safety hazards and rectify/control.
- Adhere to and enforce all aspects of the company’s health, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Access safety hazard reports and follow up on corrective actions.
- Oversee safety meetings / toolbox talks on a regular basis when required.
- Performance management to achieve required mechanical fixed plant maintenance KPI’s.
- Oversee that the planning of all mechanical fixed plant maintenance equipment is compliant with the company standards.
- Provide guidance on maintenance tasks to be carried out in a safe, timely and efficient manner, to ensure maximum reliability as per policies and procedures.
- Achieving results through prioritizing activities, monitoring the progress of assignments, holding oneself accountable for the results.
- Motivate yourself and others in overcoming obstacles and achieving goals.
- Assist in planning of work when new projects are to be executed.
- Assist in archiving maximum plant availability on the fixed plant maintenance sections at all times.
- A proven ability to work with other disciplines to achieve minimal disruption to fixed plant operations.
Experience required to perform in this job:
- Seven years’ experience in a fixed plant mechanical maintenance environment, working as an appointed Mechanical engineer.
- Knowledge of crushers and conveyor systems are essential.
- Knowledge of milling and grinding systems are essential.
- Knowledge of flotation circuit are essential.
- Knowledge of thickening and concentrate filtration are essential.
- Knowledge of piping and pumping systems are essential.
- Knowledge of hydraulic and pneumatic systems are essential.
- Maintenance and statutory testing of overhead cranes are essential.
- Knowledge of gearboxes and pulley systems are essential.
- Good knowledge on the use of mechanical measuring instruments.
- Ability to read mechanical drawings and P & ID’s.
- Computer literate in all the Microsoft packages.
- Must be able to groom up new mechanical personnel to high standard.
- A Full Grade Twelve (12) School Certificate.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from a recognized institution or an equivalent mechanical qualification.
- A valid Zambian vehicle-driving permit.
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia (EIZ).
- Registered as a member of the Engineering Registration Board of Zambia (ERB).