- Company: Barrick Gold Corporation
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
Lumwana Mining Company Limited (LMC), a copper mining company owned by Barrick Gold Corporation is situated in the North Western region of Zambia, some 300 km west of the Zambian Copperbelt and 95 km south west of the provincial capital of Solwezi. The mine is a multi-pit, multi staged operation mining approximately 100MT of ore and waste per annum and producing copper concentrates containing an average of 120,000 tonnes of copper metal per year over a twenty (20) year mine life, making Lumwana the largest single open cut copper mine in Africa. The Company is now looking for experienced and qualified individuals to be considered for the position of Water Treatment Plant Operator.
Reporting to the Laboratory Supervisor, you will be responsible for operation of the Water Treatment plant (IX WTP) within the mine site to a standard that is compatible with international best practice and undertaken in a timely and cost-effective way. Your duties will include but not limited to the following:
- Conduct daily inspection of the water treatment plant.
- Have full working knowledge and understanding of the operation the Ion Exchange Water Treatment Plant
- Operate equipment to purify and clarify water and ensure it meets statutory requirements.
- Monitor operating conditions, meters, and gauges and report any malfunctions.
- Perform necessary process control adjustments to ensure effective treatment.
- Record meter and gauge readings, and operational data
- Collect water quality samples in accordance with environmental regulation.
- Conduct field Tests of water samples as per plan.
- Clean and maintain equipment, tanks, filter beds, and other work areas.
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on plant equipment and general housekeeping.
- Maintain, modify, or repair instrumentation and control equipment including recorders, flow meter and other water quality monitoring equipment.
- Ensure safety standards are met.
- Ensure Quality Control procedures for the water treatment plant are adhered to.
- Monitor inventory of chemicals and raise picking slips.
- Ensure alignment with the Barrick Environmental Standards (Water Management and Conservation and Incident Reporting and Investigations
Experience & Qualifications
- Degree in Chemical/Environmental Engineering or BS in Chemistry from a recognized University
- Full grade 12 certificate. A certificate in water treatment and operation, Plumbing will be an added advantage.
- A minimum of at least 2 years’ experience in in water treatment operation.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently and have ability to perform instrument maintenance and troubleshoot problems.
- Understand quality assurance/quality control as it pertains to the Water Treatment.
- Knowledge of HSE Systems and promotes a culture of safety and productivity and loss prevention.
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
Zambian Nationals who meet requirements for this position and are resident in Zambia are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants may be subjected to any of the following: a Security and / or Police Clearance Check; a Competence Assessment, Qualifications, Credit and Reference Checks.
Closing Date : 7 April. 2021