- Company: Good Nature Agro
- Location: Zambia
- State: Chipata
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: IT/Telecom Jobs in Zambia
About Good Nature
Good Nature is a legume seed company founded to profitably move farmers out of poverty and into the middle class. We believe that the future of agriculture in Africa is disaggregated, with smallholders as the most powerful producers for local, regional, and global markets. We have designed our systems to be personal yet scalable. We have overseen consistent annual growth in our supply chain (currently at 11,000+ small-scale seed producers), production, grower income (now 300% of baseline) and company revenue, as our growers learn and become more efficient.
We are now at a point of inflection: expanding beyond Zambia, adding new product lines and revenue streams, and strengthening our services to both growers and customers with investments in technology and integrated market access for customers of Good Nature Seed.
Reporting to: Operations Manager (Primary)
Position Band: TBC
Band Compensation: K13,000 – K13,500 (Monthly Gross)
Contract Duration: 24 months
Based Chipata with occasional travel to Lusaka
Since 2014, Good Nature Agro’s success has been driven by a deep commitment to smallholder farmers, the highest-quality training and products, and our innovative approach to system change.
In the next 18 months, we will be embarking on a bold growth trajectory including:
- Releasing exciting new varieties created by our Seed Breeding and R&D Team
- Launching a game-changing digital platform, linking across our supply chain
- Acquiring new land and doubling factory processing capacity
- Expanding further operations into Malawi
- Increasing exports and building new business lines
- Scaling our innovative new sales and partnerships strategy, Good Nature Source
- Growing our leadership team and investing in talent development
- Reaching more than 20,000 farmers with ‘Seed + Service’ offering of training, market
- Reaching more than 250,000 farmers with quality seed
- Closing our Series B equity round
Duties and responsibilities
In the next 24 months, we will be embarking on a bold growth trajectory that includes the development and implementation of a digital platform, consisting of an ERP and custom built modules. This platform is designed to help us scale, improve operational efficiency and help better manage our data. We are building a team to help implement this project, and a software engineer is key in allowing us to effectively design, build out, implement, and maintain the required technical solution.
The Software engineer will work as part of Good Nature’s Operations Department to apply the principles of software engineering for designing, development, maintenance, testing, and evaluation of technical software solutions, as required by Good Nature Agro.
Primary Responsibilities Time Requirement
1. Help draw up technical software briefs and system designs 20%
- Assist Operations Manager is the writing of technical briefs for custom built software, designed for multiple business units
- Document and demonstrate possible technical solutions to operational challenges by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Work with the Operations Manager to help understand software solutions by studying information needs, conferring with users, and studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes.
- Work with Operations Manager to build out DFDs, wireframes and mock user flow designs
- Carry out A/B and other testing in order to incorporate HCD into the design process
2. Help evaluate possible software developers 10%
- Help the Operations Manager design a software developer evaluation matrix
- Draw up technical specific questions for software developers bidding to receive the build contract
- Join on calls with software developers
3. Work with software developers during the build phase 30%
- Work with the chosen software developer to answer questions they may have on functionality and design
- Assist with technical matters and important technical decisions that need to be made during the build phase
4. Assist in implementation of technical solutions 10%
- Conduct user testing on early systems and MVP
- Work with the Operations Manager to carry out onboarding training
5. Perform maintenance and improvements on the technical solutions 30%
- Manage application troubleshooting
- Communicate bugs and system limitations with developers
- Manage the system maintenance contract
Required Skills and Experience
- Education & Experience Three years experience in a similar role
- Demonstrated ability to work well with diverse teams
- Experience developing software solutions Software experience within the agricultural or logistical space
- Office Skills A strong understanding of Excel/ Google Sheets, and a working knowledge of database systems
- Process mapping and project management experience Experience with Inventory Management Systems, ERPs, and CRM platforms.
- Soft Skills Ability to deliver high-quality work under time-pressure
- Team player
- Technical skills Java Script, HTML, SQL or Python Text Editors, Databases, SDLC
Please email CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a cover letter (1 page maximum) clearly stating why you are applying to Good Nature and this position, including why you are the right person for the job.
Closing Date : 31st May, 2021.