- Company: DAI Global LLC
- Location: Zambia
- State: Chinsali
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The USAID Local Impact Governance Activity (Local Impact) is a five-year activity that is helping Zambia build up a sub-national system of governance for devolved service delivery more responsive to citizen needs. The activity is engaging national and sub-national authorities to expand the capabilities of district-level governance bodies to deliver sustainable development outcomes, increase effective citizen and private-sector involvement in development planning and monitoring, and improve public financial management and domestic revenue generation. The activity has the following three objectives:
Objective 1: Citizens improve their collective skills to effectively assess service-delivery needs and performance and constructively engage with government.
Objective 2: The sub-national governance system becomes more responsive to citizen needs, generates, and accountably expends revenue, and improves service-delivery outcomes.
Objective 3: The program generates learning and facilitates problem solving that supports the development of an effective, financially viable sub-national governance system for devolved services, capable of being scaled up throughout Zambia. The Program seeks to recruit for the following position:
Position: Public Administration and Capacity Building Officer
Location: Chinsali, Muchinga Province
Type: Long Term Technical Assistance
Contract Name: USAID Local Impact Governance Activity
Period of Performance: On/around July 1, 2021 – November 1, 2025
Through the development and implementation of evidence-based and context-driven interventions, the province-based Local Impact team will help partner districts establish participatory mechanisms and capacity for cross-sectoral dialogue, planning, and budgeting and increasing own-source revenues. The team will support visible service improvements and ensure that core public administration and public financial management functions (budgeting, planning, management, and citizen engagement) are strengthened in partner districts.
The Public Administration Capacity Building Officer will focus on strengthening public administration at the provincial and district levels, specifically building the capacities of local officials to engage citizens and conduct local governance functions in an efficient, effective and transparent manner.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely and coordinate with a five-person team (four technical staff and one driver) based in partner province;
- Follow field office finance and operations requirements (including procurements) in close coordination with Lusaka-based Finance and Operations Team;
- Build and manage relationships with province- and district-based Local Impact stakeholders, and coordinate with cooperating partner-funded programs operating at the local level;
- Serve as primary point of contact for select partner districts to be determined;
- Develop, implement, monitor and evaluate local governance capacity building activities that involve partner province and district civil service and elected officials. line ministry service providers, traditional leaders, private sector entities, civil society organizations (CSOs) and local citizens (including women and disadvantaged communities);
- Directly support the Local Impact sub-contractors as needed
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (HOT) district mapping activities
Geo-Poll provincial surveys;
- Deliver timely, detailed and accurate updates on province-based activities that inform trip, activity, inception, quarterly, annual, and final reports, the annual work plan, and other deliverables;
- Work closely with and support the Grants Team on: proposal and budget development; the solicitation process; activity implementation;
- Deliverable completion; and monitoring, evaluation and learning for provincial and district level grantees;
- Identify and contribute to success stories in partner provinces and districts as required by USAID;
- Collect quality data for the Activity, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Plan (AMELP) for quarterly and annual indicators.
Public administration duties
- Enhance the participatory planning and budgeting capacities of district councils, including the joint development of Integrated Development Plans (IDPs);
- Improve joint service delivery in target sectors, including the effective use of maps and GIS data;
- Strengthen the capacity of district councils to structure, negotiate and monitor public private partnerships;
- Enhance the capacity of district council to promote sustained economic growth, promotion of social development, facilitating infrastructure development and, promoting public- private partnerships and effective managing of development programmes;
- Enhance the council’s ability in strategic planning, recording keeping, information management and sharing;
- Provide technical assistance, coaching, mentorship and training in partner districts.
- Provide leave of absence cover for staff as required;
- Escalate any issues to his/her supervisor immediately;
- Arrange logistics for activities and events in the partner province as needed;
- Travel to partner districts as required;
- Perform any other duties as assigned;
- The position will be based in a Local Impact field office in a province to be determined and will report to the Provincial Manager, and work closely with the Capacity Building Advisor/Object 2 Lead in Lusaka.
Minimum Qualifications, Experience and Competencies:
- Preferably University degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Development Studies, Bachelor of Science in Public Management and Policy or any other related field required;;
- 6+ years of relevant experience;
- Experience in working on local level public sector capacity building activities on cooperating partner-funded;
- projects (USAID experience preferred);
- Knowledge of decentralization and public administration at the local level in Zambia, including
o Service delivery
o Public private partnerships
o Capacity building of public officials
o Planning and budgeting
- Ability to respond effectively to time sensitive demands & inquiries;
- Demonstrated commitment to exceptional customer relations (both internally & externally);
- Excellent organizational skills with a willingness to take initiative and be proactive;
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and appropriate professional image;
- Fluency in English is required.
Closing Date : 20th June, 2021.