POSITION: Senior HR & Admin Assistant (x1)
DEADLINE: Applications reviewed on a rolling basis
DURATION: 1 Year (Renewable)
START DATE: ASAP
ELIGIBILITY: Local hire only
About Innovations for Poverty Action: is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems. In close partnership with decision makers – the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world – IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available. We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
The Senior Human Resource Assistant, under the general supervision of the Senior Manager, Policy and Programmes – Zambia and Malawi and dotted supervision of the Senior HR Advisor, Africa and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action, Zambia’s policies and procedures, helps coordinate and facilitate the Human Resource Department activities, functions and processes. Below is a list of general duties and responsibilities of the Senior Human Resource Assistant, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Country Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Recruitment and selection
- Maintain a database of job postings made by IPA within a month for both national and international jobs.
- In consultation with the Country Director coordinate shortlisting of qualified applicants according to pre-specified criteria provided by hiring managers.
- Schedule and organize interviews.
- Inform unsuccessful applicants officially through email.
2. Onboarding & Orientation
- Facilitate induction of new staff
- Support the planning and scheduling of orientation for new hires to discuss IPAZ’s policies.
3. Contract Management
- Preparing, monitoring and renewing of staff contracts
4. Performance Reviews
- Ensure that all performance plans and appraisal forms are filed in all respective staff files
- Notify relevant managers of approaching end of contract and follow up with renewals as instructed by managers.
5. Leave and timesheet management
- Ensure monthly database updated of staff leave/sick day leave balances within stipulated time frame.
- Assist in tracking absenteeism within the projects.
- Ensure that all staff taking leave/vacation have the required approvals from their supervisors.
- Monitor all the Maternity/Paternity leave cases within projects.
- Periodically remind staff within the project through their immediate supervisors to use leave days during the year to avoid carry forward of leave days.
- Work hand in hand with the finance team to ensure that timesheets are timely submitted and assist where need be.
6. Database & Personnel File Maintenance
- Ensure that the staff database is updated with all relevant information required and inactive staff captured separately.
- Ensure all HR documents are scanned and saved on Box.
- Ensure Staff files are labelled clearly and arranged in accordance to staff numbers.
7. Office Management
- Manage logistics for office meetings & project training.
- Manage storage and inventory of office supplies, consumables, projects items, and stationery.
- Monitor and manage utility bill payment in the office, including telephone, internet, electricity, rentals, water, etc.;
- Assist in the disposal of items in the storage room;
- Assist prepare all outgoing mail, faxes, courier parcels, and any other official correspondence;
- Assist in schedule and coordinate travel bookings, hotel payments, airport pick-up, conferences, department activities for all local staff and international visitors;
- Maintenance and repairs;
- Manage all repairs and routine maintenance work in all the premises of IPA in Lusaka, including office and IT equipment, communications, etc.;
- Generator management responsibilities: Liaise with the mechanic on technical issues related to the generators, including preparation of orders for consumables and spare parts;
- Assist with the scheduling, servicing, ordering fuel and oil for the generator
Carry out other duties as shall be assigned from time to time by Country Director as part of IPAZ daily activities.
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma in Human Resource Management or equivalent
- Prior HR & Admin experience preferably with similar organization.
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Familiarity with latest Zambian labor laws.
- Computer skills – MS Word, Excel and Microsoft packages.
- A strong team player and committed to diversity, equal opportunity and capacity building.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadline.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior HR & Admin Assistant, IPA Zambia. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA.