- Company: Copperbelt University
- Location: Zambia
- State: Kitwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Engineering Jobs in Zambia
The Copperbelt University is a Public University established through an Act of Parliament No. 19 of 1987. The University’s core business is Teaching, Research, Innovation, Industrialisation and Consultancy as a service to the nation. The University has embarked on a number of commercial projects throughout its various campuses and hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for appointment into the following positions on specific projects.
SAWMILL TECHNICIAN – 01 Position
To provide leadership, plan and coordinate the day-to-day running of the training sawmill ensuring quality performance, to ensure sustainable utilisation and management of the training compartment.
The Sawmill Technician will report to the Head of Department for Biomaterial Science & Technology attached to the Sawmill Project.
Main Duties/ Responsibilities
- Develop and Implement the annual work plans in line with the Departmental strategic plan.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in logging and sawmilling operations.
- Develop and Implement a sawmill machinery maintenance plan in close consultation with though the Head of Department.
- Develop value-addition products at the Sawmill and ensure effective running of the Sawmill
- Prepare accurate monthly production and training reports to monitor costs against the budget.
- Manage the sawmill operations, in consultation with the Head of Department, to nurture and expand the business operations of the sawmill into a profitable commercial venture.
- Plan and implement wood harvesting plans to meet the wood requirements needed to meet production demands without deviating from the conditions of round wood supply contracts with Zambia Forestry and Forest Corporation (ZAFFICO).
- Interpret customer orders to determine the type of product to be produced and the production schedule.
- Inspect materials during and after processing to determine that dimensions and grade, meet specifications.
- Direct workers to adjust machine setup or processing procedure to meet production requirements, improve conversion efficiency and correct defects.
- Inspect, grade, scale and tally incoming and outgoing timber and verify associated documentation.
- Evaluate the performance of workers and recommended appropriate work skills remediation and development.
- Advise the Head of Department on the development and delivery of field practical training programs and industrial short courses.
- Actively participate in research activities of academic staff and students.
- Perform practical demonstration following instructions in a practical training manual.
Professional Qualifications and Requirements
- Grade Twelve Certificate with five credits including English and Mathematics.
- Minimum of a Diploma in Forestry and Sawmilling or any other relevant qualification from a recognised institution.
- A minimum of 3 years working experience is required.
Required Attributes and Skills
- A multitasker, with the ability to work on several requests simultaneously without losing focus
- Good communications skills, proactive, problem-solving, time management, discretion and confidentiality are essential attributes
- Excellent critical thinking and analytical skills
- Must have entrepreneurial skills and experience
- Must possess an inquisitive and creative mind
- Ability to build good relationships and a strong team player. There will be frequent contact with internal and external people, either face to face or by telephone or email
- Willingness to learn and develop
- Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, etc.)
Individuals meeting the above requirements should submit their letters of applications, accompanied by detailed CVs and copies of academic and professional certificates. Applicants are to include three (03) names and addresses of referees, two of whom should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Electronic applications should be emailed to email@example.com and physical applications to:
Jambo Drive, Riverside
P O Box 21692
The closing date is Thursday 2nd April 2021.