- Company: DAI
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Logistics/Transportation Jobs in Zambia
USAID SCALING UP NUTRITION TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE (SUN TA)
Despatch and Warehouse Officer
DAI works at the cutting edge of international development, combining technical excellence, professional project management, and exceptional customer service to solve our clients’ most complex problems. Since 1970, DAI has worked in 150 developing and transition countries, providing comprehensive development solutions in areas including crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, health and nutrition, water sanitation and hygiene, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS, avian influenza control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and host-country governments.
1. Project Background:
The USAID funded Scaling Up Nutrition Technical Assistance (SUN TA) Project is a cross-ministry and multi-donor program to reduce stunting in Zambia through the implementation of the Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ) 1,000 Most Critical Days Program.
SUN TA provides support and direct technical assistance to sub-national local government departments in target districts to plan, implement, coordinate, and monitor integrated nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific activities to reduce the rate of stunting among Zambian children under two and improve the nutritional status of pregnant and lactating mothers. USAID has identified two main objectives that address stunting, including (1) Adequate Quantity and Quality of Dietary Intake among Target Groups; and (2) Adequate Health Conditions for Biological Utilization of Nutrients. SUN TA interventions increase access and availability of safe, diverse, nutritious food; adoption of better child feeding and household hygiene practices; and access to improved health, water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH). The project prioritizes sustainability by improving intra-household joint decision making and building the capacity of local government and their stakeholders to ensure coordination, accountability, and learning, following the Scaling Up Nutrition model.
The Despatch and Warehouse Officer will be based in Lusaka and will provide assistance and services to the thirteen (13) SUN TA supported districts i.e. Kaputa, Kasama, Luwingu, and Mbala in Northern province, Mansa, Samfya, and Nchelenge in Luapula province, Ndola and Kitwe in Copperbelt province and, Chibombo, Kabwe, Kapiri Mposhi, and Mumbwa in Central province. With frequent travels to the districts.
The Despatch and Warehouse Officer will play a pivotal role in ensuring that goods/services are received from service providers/vendors and are dispatched to the districts on time. S/he will ensure that all goods procured are duly receptionned, entered in the inventory records and are properly stored in the warehouse and dispatched to the distrits with complete documentation in place. Ensuring adherence to project policies and procedures, regulations, controls, and reporting systems.
4. Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Assist with the import clearing process of goods purchased abroad (as required).
- Receive goods at the warehouse, inspect physical condition (quality and quantity) of the goods upon reception.
- Manage inputs/goods, review warehouse reports and district input trackers.
- Develop despatch and communication plans to support the despatch of goods to the districts.
- Liaise with procurement/contracts/technical experts, District Managers and transporters to ensure a coordinated and accurate despatch of inputs/goods to the districts.
- Assist in conducting quality and cost control checks through regular market surveys of goods and services.
- Develop and document standard and emergency operating procedures for receiving, handling, storing, shipping, or salvaging products or materials.
- Track and trace goods while they are en route to their destinations, expediting orders when necessary.
- Examine products or materials to estimate quantities or weight and type of container/vehcicle required for storage and transport.
- Evaluate suitability of warehouse facilities making recommendations for improvements.
- Evaluate locations for new warehouses or distribution networks to optimize operations.
- Ensure that receipting, despatching and distribution source documents (electronic and harcopy) records are kept up to date and accurate and are clearly labeled and filed in an organized manner.
- Coordinate with District Administration and Finance Officers in the district offices ensuring that the delivery, storage and distribution of supplies and materials to end users is tracked.
- Provide technical guidance to districts on best practices of supply and warehouse management.
- Review and approve for processing, centrally managed warehouse invoices and monthly inventory reports for accuracy and validity.
- Reconciling receipting and issuing documentation against centrally managed warehouse monthly inventory reports.
- Conduct these and other tasks as required in support of projects goals.
5. Reporting and Supervision:
The Despatch and Warehouse Officer directly reports to the Senior Procurement, Contracts and Grants Manager based in Lusaka.
- Bachelor’s degree in Logistics, or Supply Chain Management, or in a related field or equivalent.
- Registered member of recognized professional body.
- 5 years related experience in logistics or supply chain management.
- Knowledge: It is important that applicants have an understanding of logistics operations and practices. They must also have extensive work experience in logistics or supply chain management tasks.
- Computer skills: must have a thorough understanding of MS Office applications and logistics software necessary to conduct research and complete routine/moderately complex tasks.
- Analytical skills: must be able to assess moderately complex information from multiple sources and draw logical conclusions.
- Interpersonal skills: must be able to establish and preserve productive partnerships with clients, suppliers, transporters and colleagues by gaining their trust and respect, as well as nurture an effective working relationship with the work team.
- Communication skills: must be able to communicate with various stakeholders, including customers, colleagues, vendors, etc. It is also vital for composing and delivering responses to customers, attending to complex questions in a clear and concise manner, and reporting the status of assigned tasks.
- Organizational skills: must be able to plan, prioritize, and manage their own activities and office workflow even when working under tight deadlines.
- Client orientation: must have a customer focus attitude to understand customer requirements, identify clients’ needs, and match them to appropriate solutions, or suggest and implement solutions to customer issues.
- High stardards of ethics, professionalism and confidentiality.
- Flexibility: must be willing and able to adapt to changing work requirements and priorities that may require some extended hours (when necessary).
- Fluency in English is required.
DISCLAIMER: The above position description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work to be performed by the Despatch and Warehouse Officer. The position description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. However, Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary
DAIsuppliers/f8pgbdedyt/index.html” target=”_blank” rel=”noopener”>Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 26th April, 2021.