- Company: The Wild Life Africa
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Travel and Tourism Jobs in Zambia
Outline of the Role
The General Manager (GM) is responsible to the board and shareholders of TWLA for leading profitable growth of the business through a jointly developed business development strategy and investment budget. The GM will collaborate closely with Directors to define growth and market development opportunities and create ways to increase profits and grow the company.
The GM will ensure that the board and shareholders are fully informed of any operational and business environment issues that may impact implementation of the business development strategy.
The GM is responsible for top-quality company products and for ensuring that staff have the necessary tools to effectively execute their job responsibilities to maintain high consistent standards for our clients.
This role requires someone who is able to effectively identify opportunities, develop and execute plans, can facilitate beneficial linkages and is internally motivated to achieve at a very high level of professionalism, communication and effectiveness. We are looking for someone with the desire and drive to take a successful business to the next level of profitability.
The ideal candidate will offer the following characteristics:
- Significant business management experience (preferably in the tourism sector). Experience with vehicle fleet management is a bonus.
- Effective communication skills, high attention to detail and strong client relations abilities
- A strong personal work ethic and a drive to ensure high standards are always achieved
- A wide network in the tourism industry
- The ability to troubleshoot challenges effectively and efficiently. A creative problem-solver
- Strong administration skills and awareness of Zambian regulatory requirements
- Strong negotiation skills with suppliers
- A business mindset wherein you have the desire and ability to take a successful business to the next level of growth and profitability
- A love of the tourism sector, nature, being in the bush and an honest desire to share those experiences with others
1. Business strategy, financial planning and board reporting
- Develop a draft annual business development strategy and associated investment budget for presentation, discussion, and approval by the board.
- Identify opportunities to strengthen the core product and to introduce new profitable products.
- Maintain annual revenues and expenses forecasts against actual and ensure that these are presented regularly and explained to the board.
- Prepare and present monthly operational and financial reports to the board.
2. Regulatory compliance
- Ensure that TWLA is registered with all necessary state institutions and that registrations are kept current.
- Monitor regulatory environment and present implications and responses to any changes to the board.
- Ensure that all TWLA employees are aware of and understand their individual roles and responsibilities for regulatory compliance.
- Ensure that employee contracts are sound and in line with Zambian labour law (attested by Ministry of Labour).
- Support and manage the application process for Investor Licenses with ZDA and subsequent Investor Permits for shareholders, as necessary.
- Ensure that company financial and tax statements are prepared and filed in accordance with prevailing Zambian law.
- Ensure that PACRA annual returns are submitted on time and in the format required by prevailing Zambian law.
3. Client experience
- Ensure that all client interactions contribute to the positive reputation of TWLA.
- Develop and maintain a client-focused attitude among all TWLA staff.
- Develop and maintain management and process tools that will enhance the client experience.
- Instigate and maintain a formal client feedback mechanism designed to inform the business development strategy and to monitor the performance of TWLA employees.
- Ensure that the TWLA information systems are clear and organized (both electronic and paper).
- Develop and maintain a TWLA marketing strategy and budget (part of overall business development strategy).
- Where possible, undertake marketing efforts directly. Where not possible, ensure quality outsourced support.
- Oversee and monitor the results of individual marketing activities to inform future strategy development. Report on these activities to the Board.
5. Sales and financial matters
- Act as primary contact for potential clients, respond to queries and ensure that communication is timely, professional and documented.
- Maintain relationships with agents, tour operators and other third-party entities to build the company network, brand awareness and knowledge of company products.
- Oversee financial transactions and ensure financial accountability and proper accounting.
- Input all financial transactions into online accounting system and ensure that they are correctly coded.
- Manage all petty cash and ensure that it is properly tracked and closed out at the end of every week.
- Ensure that payroll and taxes are completed each month.
6. Personnel management
- Set individual roles, objectives, and goals for all TWLA employees consistent with the business development strategy.
- Support, direct and oversee the Operations Manager and other staff
- Develop and maintain a personnel handbook and individual job descriptions for all TWLA employees.
- Develop and maintain personnel management systems and controls that balance effective oversight with delegated responsibility.
- Manage and motivate all TWLA employees, building a sense of shared ownership of the company values, ethos and ambition.
- Advise the board on employee remuneration packages and incentives.
- Manage day-to-day staff operations, ensure that the operations team is consistently aware of bookings/ upcoming activities and successfully managing their workload.
7. Working Hours
- Full time work is 48 hours per week. However, our regular work week will be 40 hours. That means there will be some weeks where 48 hours will be required (especially in high season), but no overtime will be paid.
- The 40 to 48 hours must have a minimum of 30 hours on site @ TWLA office (5 days a week). This is to ensure proper oversight of the staff. This is subject to change depending on performance of General Manager and Staff.
- The General Manager will occasionally be required on weekends depending on booking or client returns..
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date : 7th May, 2021.