- Company: Human Rights Commission
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Senior Communications Expert
Services/Work Description: Senior Communication Expert 3 positions
Post Title: Senior Communication expert for the EWER System Zambia
The Communication Team is a key constituent part of the EWER system as they conduct analysis of data, elaborate recommendations on response options, inform rapid response activities, and prepare strategic recommendations on managing the electoral cycle in the long term. In this context, HRC Zambia is looking for Senior Communication experts (3 positions) with recognised skills and a deep understanding of the context of political struggle during the general elections and by-elections in Zambia.
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND DELIVERABLES
The Communication Expert is meant to perform the following tasks and duties :
- Plan awareness-raising and public information campaigns. Awareness-raising should cover the role and purpose of the EWS and its main stakeholders;
- Liaising with HRC Corporate Affairs and Communication teams on communication related matters.
- Support the development of the Training Modules/Content on EWS from the communication angle;
- Set up and operate EWS social media accounts in order to provide credible source of news about the elections and dispute resolution process before, during and after the elections;
- Attend training and support the roll-out of training to the province and district level wherer equested; and
- Ensure synergies between EWS related work and the broader strategic communications efforts of the Commissions, in particular the work related to the set up and implementation of the Disinformation platform.
The Communication officers are meant to perform the following tasks and duties with the launch of the Early Warning and Early Response System up until end of August:
- Implement awareness-raising and public information campaigns.
- Operate the EWS social media accounts in order to provide credible source of news about the elections and dispute resolution process before, during and after the elections.
- Draw attention of the Analysts, HRC, and Situation Room members to key events and incidents requiring urgent and coordinated communication response. Provide support during risk assessment, analysis, scenarios and recommendations on the communication response options.
- Support the Analyst team in integrating strategic communications efforts into the reporting.
- Support the distribution of reports drafted by the Analyst team to the EWS stakeholders and their communication teams and support the dissemination of reports, if necessary, to other actors as instructed by the HRC in coordination with the Analyst.
- Prepare talking points and/or supporting materials for the Response Room and its spokesperson
- Facilitate and oversee media relations in close relation with the HRC with all partners.
- Support the After-action review (reports in the EWS system, materials collation, and participation to the drafting of the final Strategic analysis document).
- Serve as the liaison for the Disinformation platform supported by UNDP/DSZ.
Education: A minimum of Master’s degree in communication, media relations, journalism, publishing or related field. Those with qualifications/ expertise in more than one area will have added advantage.
Required area of expertise:
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience in the fields of public relations or communications
- Relevant experience at the national or international level in conflict management considered an asset
- Deep understanding of the Zambian political and electoral landscape and the legal considerations relating to the media and communications environment
- Gender expertise
- Proven strategic communications methods in conflict/electoral violence context;
- Proven affinity with social media outreach
- Experience in disinformation/misinformation counter-strategies considered an asset;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and work with minimum supervision;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure;
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environments;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Experience in the usage of computers and software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems; and
- Language requirements: Excellent command of written and spoken English.
INSTITUTIONAL ARRANGEMENT/REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS
The Senior Communication Experts will be deployed to support the workings of the Early Warning and Early Response System
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT
The duration of the assignment would be to cover for the pre-operational period focusing on prevention planning and training and operation period of the Situation Room for a duration of the 3 months (or 4 months depending on whether a rerun will take place).
The successful expert shall receive his/her payments on a monthly basis
All applications should be addressed to the undersigned no later than Monday 17th May 2021.
Applicants should enclose Curriculum Vitae’s and photocopies of relevant certificates/documents. Original Certificates must be produced during interviews for the shortlisted candidates. Applicants are encouraged to bring their applications in person or send them by post. Telephone enquiries will not be entertained.
The Director, Human Rights Commission, Human Rights House (Ministry of Lands Premises) Independence Avenue, P.O. Box 33812, Lusaka.
The Human Rights Commission is a National Human Rights Institution established under Article 230 (i) of the Constitution of Zambia [as amendment] Act No. 2 of 2016 with a broad mandate of ensuring that the Bill of Rights is upheld and protected.