- Company: GIZ
- Location: Zambia
- State: Chipata
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is the implementing agency of the Federal Republic of Germany for technical and international cooperation. It offers flexible, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes. Most of the work of GIZ is commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). GIZ also operates on behalf of other German ministries as well as public and private bodies in Germany and abroad. These include the European Commission, the United Nations, the World Bank and governments of other countries.
Under the Green Innovation Centres for the Agriculture and Food Sector (GIC) Project in Zambia, GIZ provides support to the groundnut and soya bean value chains in the Eastern Province related to the following key areas of capacity development: sustainable agricultural practices, seed production and the protection of natural resources. By improving farmers’ skills and knowledge, the project aims to improve productivity and income levels as well as to prepare farmers to better cope with external threats such as climate change. Increasing importance is given to cooperatives as central element for structural change in the area.
The activities are implemented in close collaboration with COMACO. As a legally registered social enterprise in Zambia, COMACO represents an emerging model for addressing the social and environmental challenges. It promotes low-cost, low-carbon farming practices among its more than 130,000 registered farmers in Eastern Province that improve yields, and offers through the cooperative structures adequate markets for these climate-resilient farming communities to turn the produce into value-added products such as peanut butter or breakfast porridge sold under its popular local brand It’s Wild.
In this context, the project seeking a suitable candidate for the following position:
(Senior) Advisor (based in Chipata with frequent travels to Lusaka)
Main tasks and responsibilities:
- Planning, coordination and implementation of project activities in close collaboration with the main implementing partner COMACO
- Strengthening of the agricultural value chains groundnut and soya bean
- General project management according to GIZ standards
- Coordination and management of working relationships with relevant stakeholders from the public and private sector
Planning and implementation of project activities
- Planning and overseeing the agricultural value chain development for groundnuts and soya beans, in close collaboration with the cooperative advisor
- Regularly reviewing and following up on progress made by the main implementing partners on activities jointly agreed on
- Elaborating a sustainability and fade-out strategy for the project and its partner COMACO for the value chains groundnut and soybean
Project management and coordination
- Strengthening the coordination of value chain activities for groundnut and soya bean
- Conducting different project management tasks according to GIZ standards
- Developing and reviewing GIZ Capacity WORKS tools
- Monitoring, evaluating and reporting implementation data and activities/training
- Closely exchanging with other technical colleagues on cross-cutting topics
- Representing the project in relevant steering and technical working groups
- Negotiating and following up on working agreements with partners
- Working closely with other projects under German Development Cooperation
- Representing GIC on regional, national and international levels, as required
- Exchanging with stakeholders on experiences and lessons learnt
Other duties/additional tasks
- Compiling documentation of case studies, achievements and results
- Conducting budget planning on a monthly and annual basis
- Preparing fact sheets, writing reports and delivering all data required
- Performing other duties as assigned
Qualifications, knowledge and professional experience:
- Minimum of a master’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Agriculture, Organisational Development, Agribusiness, or related field
- At least 6-8 years’ professional and relevant experience in working on agribusiness and agricultural value chain development topics
- At least 5 years’ experience in working in the field of development cooperation, public entities or research institutions
- Demonstrable advisory and facilitation skills
- Good advisory skills and good understanding of organisational development topics
- Experience in the organisation of events and good networking skills
Other knowledge, additional competences:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work effectively in a multicultural and multidisciplinary team
- Very good organisational skills and structured working methods to prioritise workload and provide high quality and timely deliverables
- Ability to work independently and must be target-oriented
- Excellent analytical, strategic and conceptual skills
- Good facilitation and presentation skills
- Willingness to travel frequently
- Strong ICT skills and very good knowledge of computer applications (MS Word, Outlook, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English (oral and written) and at least one local language (oral) of the Eastern Province
- Driver’s licence class B, preferably without restrictions
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
The successful candidate will be expected to start full-time employment with GIZ, on a fixed term contract, as soon as possible. Interested candidates must send their CVs and cover letters, electronically quoting GIZ_GIC_ADV_CHP in the subject line to: jobzambia@GIZ.de by 17:00 on Wednesday, 19th May 2021. GIZ will only assess applications which meet the following criteria:
Cover letters MUST be sent in MS Word format, with using font type Arial, size 11. In the first paragraph, please outline your motivation for applying for the position and explain in the second paragraph why you would be the most suitable candidate.
CVs MUST not exceed three (3) pages and must be submitted in PDF.
Certificates, qualifications, etc. MUST NOT be attached to the application.
Traceable references of previous engagements must be provided.
Please note that only applicants selected for interview will be contacted. GIZ is committed to be an equal opportunities employer, therefore, women and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.