- Company: On Call Africa
- Location: Zambia
- State: Sesheke Airport
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
On Call Africa (OCA)
Project Officer – WASH in healthcare facilities
On Call Africa was set up by a group of doctors and international development experts, all with a shared desire to improve access to healthcare and health outcomes within rural communities. In particular, looking to support communities with traditionally poor access to medical professionals and amenities – Zambia was selected due its low ratio of doctors to people. Following a consultation with the Ministry of Health, the Southern Province was selected as the starting point.
We work in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Rural Health Facilities, volunteer Doctors from the UK, and delivery partners to support the development of strong and effective rural health systems in Zambia. We also work with Rural Health Facilities that have been identified by the Ministry of Health as being in need of capacity building and support. With these Rural Health Facilities, we map their catchment area, carry out in depth assessments of health facility needs, and the needs of their communities, and use these to work with the health facility staff to develop detailed quality improvement and implementation plans to improve access to and quality of healthcare. Once in place we work with the Ministry of Health, and our partners to deliver identified programmes of work.
One consistent challenge that we have identified in all health facilities that we work, and their surrounding catchment areas, has been poor access to Water, Sanitation, hygiene and waste management. For this reason, we reached out to WaterAid to explore the potential to work together to improve WASH services, alongside our existing medical interventions. Following a period of consultation, we have been selected as the delivery partner for WaterAid’s WASH in healthcare facilities project taking place in 27 rural health facilities in Sesheke and Mwandi Districts. This role represents an exciting opportunity to deliver a pioneering program that meets a clear need.
Responsible to: Program Manager
Salary: 14,500 ZMW dependent on experience
Hours: Full Time – 40 hours per week
Flexible Working: Given the nature of the role it is expected that the post-holder will work flexibly. This may include working extended hours, evenings, and weekends.
On Call Africa is looking for a Project Officer WASH for its WASH in Healthcare Facilities (HCFs) Project. The aim of the project is to improve access and quality of WASH services in facilities in Zambia and strengthen the integration and management of sustainable WASH models and guidelines.
Empower and strengthen local structures to improve sustainable and inclusive access to WASH services in communities, and HCFs through a human rights-based approach (HRBA).
The project will focus on upholding and sustaining current successes for strengthening WASH in healthcare facilities, through a pilot that was run by WaterAid Zambia. The target districts are, Mwandi and Sesheke Districts in Western Province. The project has the following outcomes:
1. Increased access to inclusive and sustainable water supply and sanitation services in 27 healthcare facilities.
2. Increased knowledge and capacity of communities in three districts to demand their rights to quality WASH services in unserved healthcare facilities.
3. Improved institutional management for sustainability of water supply and sanitation services and hygiene behaviours.
4. Accelerated adoption and integration of WASH in HCFs models and guidelines for sustainable and inclusive WASH services that contribute to an acceleration of hygienic conditions in HCFs by MoH.
The main activities will include;
- Providing WASH facilities in maternity annexes, delivery rooms, and sluice rooms; inclusive staff and patient toilets; shower rooms for patients; segregated inclusive outpatient toilets for males and females; as well as washing troughs, handwashing basins, and waste management facilities.
- Providing the full package of water, sanitation, hygiene, waste management and environmental cleaning, per Joint Monitoring Program (JMP) standards.
- Installing inclusive menstrual hygiene management (MHM) facilities and piped water networks to provide drinking water for learners and supply to school ablution blocks; hygiene behaviour change; HRBA; sexual rights and human rights; as well as interventions focused on boys and young men.
- Mobilizing and empowering communities, particularly children, to demand their rights to WASH;
- Strengthening capacity of institutions mandated to provide WASH in HCFs;
- Influencing and engaging the public around sustainable and inclusive WASH, building upon the Kutuba Campaign, a hygiene behaviour campaign designed to address underlying motives in a creative and scientific manner as a means of furthering sustained behaviour change.
The Project Officer WASH will be expected to contribute to efforts of fundraising and project management; partnerships; and other tasks including: Participate in WASH review meetings; respond to requests for information from stakeholders as required; undertake other professional tasks as reasonably requested by program manager.
The Project Officer WASH will also be responsible for;
- Lead in collating, analysis, usage and updating of monitoring and evaluation information in the CP, within the Global PMER Framework
- Conduct regular monitoring initiatives and produce clear documentation of findings
- Coordinate and manage the collection, analysis and interpretation of field data and preparation of reports
- Coordinate periodic impact assessments and evaluations of our programmatic work as per the Global PMER Framework
- Support programme staff to fulfil their role in respect to Monitoring & Evaluation, especially to use monitoring tools including software for data collection and analysis
- Build the capacity of On Call Africa and its partners by working at project level to improve the planning, monitoring and evaluation of individual projects; and collect and analyse information
- Support OCA staff and partners to use M&E and other research findings to improve programme performance (outcomes)
- Coordinate and take part in periodic country program evaluations using external evaluators and key stakeholders to ensure that external impacts and problems are understood and factored into the program
- Collect and disseminate results, best practices and lessons learned for different events and activities
- Plan and host quarterly learning days for the country programme
- Support fundraising, partners and field staff to generate and disseminate relevant case studies from our operational areas of successes and lessons from our work
Experience and Technical Skills
- University degree in Development Studies, Public Health or Social Sciences;
- Minimum three (3) years of experience with project implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Experience in working with M&E software solutions or systems and mobile applications for data gathering
- Experience in transferring knowledge (either formal training or knowledge management)
- Oral and written fluency in English
- Demonstrable intermediate skills in MS Office – Excel, Power Point, Access and Word
- Excellent knowledge of various planning tools, including log frames and Gantt charts
- Knowledge of SPSS, STATA or other statistical applications
- Knowledge of WASH will be an added advantage
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Numeric Literacy
- Ability to schedule and manage tasks effectively, setting priorities and meeting deadlines including working under pressure and prioritising workload according to the changing needs of the programme
- Ability to apply conceptual, analytical and evaluative skills and identify potential issues
Excellent writing and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills including motivational attitude
- Ability to work as part of a team and as such will be required to collaborate with staff across the organisation
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Lozi
- Commitment to On Call Africa’s values and a working style that reflects these values
To apply for the role, please submit a CV and cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit for the role to email@example.com by 17:00 4th June 2021.