- Company: Chichele Safaris
- Location: Zambia
- State: Luangwa
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
General Management Couple
Main Areas of Focus
Management of the camp including:
Guest relations –
- The reason for our existence is to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Meeting and welcoming guests to your camp and helping them to settle in comfortable.
- Providing guests with reliable and knowledgeable information about the camp and surroundings, facilities and activities.
- Ensuring that guests are treated with respect, courtesy and genuine hospitality, and that at no time would any guest be subjected to embarrassment, ridicule or unfriendliness from any member of staff.
- Dealing with all requests with a genuine degree of willingness to assist, no matter how difficult or impractical the request.
- Ensuring the safety and well being of guests at all times.
- Ensuring that any medical, religious or other cultural requests or beliefs be respected and accommodated.
- That “no” is not a word which forms part of our vocabulary when dealing with guests, except in immoral or unlawful requests.
- Ensuring staff carries out the work they are employed to do in the relevant departments. This includes ensuring that staff are capable of doing the tasks required and are equipped to do the task required.
- Ensuring harmony in the work place by maintaining consistent practices when dealing with staff issues.
- Maintaining staff records efficiently.
- Ensuring rosters for work, leave etc. are fairly exercised.
- Maintaining disciplinary and grievance procedures fairly and in accordance to company and Labour requirements.
- Dealing with staff issues fairly and without prejudice.
- Ongoing training within the various departments.
- Supervision of Heads of Department, supervisors and other management.
Personal Attributes –
- Being fair when dealing with staff and avoid preferential treatment.
- Offering advice and direction to staff and fellow management and leading by example.
- Being genuinely interested in your guests.
- Being dedicated to your work and loyal to the company.
Reporting lines – Upward
- Liaising with the General Management Couple on issues pertaining to relevant decision making within the camp on matters ranging from staff issues, such as hiring and firing, discipline, and training, as well as any projects ranging from maintenance, refurbishment, activities or any changes in programme.
- All staff who are hired or fired by any manager within the company needs to be approved by the next senior manager, e.g. Lodge Manager to General Manager; General Manager to Operations Manager
General Duties and responsibilities –
The Lodge Manager is ultimately responsible for every department within the Camp. Each Head of Department has his or her direct responsibilities, however the Lodge Manager is required to oversee the general efficiency of each of those areas, ensuring that the relevant managers comply with their own duties and areas of responsibility. In any event it is required of all managers within the camp to overlap their duties to a large degree, however, each manager must be given a fair amount of autonomy to carry out his or her duties within the limits of their authority, and it is the requirement of the Lodge Manager to support his/her management, keeping within the policies of the company.
Food & Beverage
- To supervise the kitchen in providing guests with delicious, appetizing meals.
- To ensure that the kitchen is completely up to date with the menus, recipes and styling as directed by the Operations Department, and have been trained accordingly.
- To ensure that all food that is served is of a consistently high standard, notwithstanding the logistical difficulties, especially where improvisation is called for.
- To ensure that beverages served are varied and comply with the high standards required. Product knowledge is imperative.
- To comply with special requests and dietary requirements where applicable.
- To ensure proper stock controls and systems are adhered to.
- To ensure wastage and shrinkage is minimized.
- To produce accurate monthly records of food and beverage costs
- To ensure that the overall Food and Beverage experience of each guest fits in to the philosophy of the company.
- To ensure that all guest rooms and public areas are kept clean, neat and well maintained.
- All linen and towels are washed according to the Camps policy, and that only linen and towels in excellent condition are used, whilst inferior items are discarded and replaced.
- The cleaning of all rooms and public areas is carried out systematically, according to the required standard. Every nook and corner to be inspected from the deck of each room, doors windows, counter tops, beds, baskets, furniture and ornaments, waste bins, drawers, hangers, basins, bowls, toilets, sinks, taps, nozzles, pipes, sanitary bins, ashtrays, magazine racks, blinds, carpets, rugs and so forth.
- Correct cleaning materials and equipment to be used as per the required standard using environmentally friendly products, in correct dosage, including polishing of floors. Sanitary waste is correctly disposed of.
- Turndowns are effected according to the required standard.
Maintenance & Grounds
- To ensure that all tents/rooms and main public areas are maintained aesthetically and functionally. Any damaged furniture, fittings or equipment to be maintained, replaced or removed.
- To ensure that all aspects of the camp are maintained and functional including all furniture fittings and equipment, including kitchen operating equipment, food and beverage service equipment, housekeeping and laundry equipment and guides equipment and vehicles including all subsidiary and related items.
- To ensure that the camp is adequately stocked with fuel and required materials to ensure reasonable ongoing maintenance can occur on a daily basis with special requests being ordered in.
- To ensure that vehicles are maintained and regularly serviced, especially when crossing water.
Keep database up to date – include info on –
1. Installation dates and position of all infrastructure:
- guest and staff accommodation
- service facilities etc
- radio tower
2. Installation dates and position of all systems:
- sewage – septic tanks and soakaway
- energy – generator, batteries, gas, fuel, solar panels, electrical systems
- waste – bins, storage cage, burning pit
- water – boreholes, reticulation systems
3. Monitor rate of consumption of:
- fuel usage and vehicle maintenance
- water usage
- biodegradable cleaning products usage
- guest complimentary products usage and quality of refill by staff
4. Quality of – bore water and sewage effluent
5. Regular inspections of :
- guest chalets and main area.
- waste disposal and storage centre.
6. Ensure no excessive noise in staff area whilst guests are in camp.
7. Accidents and emergencies, fire, illegal activities (a contingency plan for spills and fires within the camp must be developed i.e. reporting mechanism, sand buckets, fire blankets, fire extinguishes, evacuation).
8. Wildlife Monitoring:
- Problem animal control
- Illegal activities
- Wildlife – monitoring endangered species, predator identikit, natural mortalities.
- Daily procedures including registration of guests, recording of sales, banking analysis.
- Weekly procedures including weekly departmental issues.
- Daily reductions, issues and deliveries recorded
- Monthly management reports as per required standard,
- Checking of invoices
- Writing of welcome notes and bedtimes stories for guests
- First aid co-ordination and upkeep.
- Printing and stationery
Please provide your resume and a letter of application. Email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Your letter should touch on at least the following points:
- Why you believe you are suited to the job;
- What you can bring to the position;
- Your approach to handling complaints;
- How you will handle the isolation of living in the bush for almost 8 months;
- Whether you are currently living in Zambia;
- If you hold a current First Aid & CPR Certificate;
- If you’re eligible to work in Zambia
We look forward to hearing from you.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
Closing Date : 20th June, 2021.