- Company: Plant A Million Zambia
- Location: Zambia
- State: Lusaka
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
The Propagation Officer performs technical and supervisory work under the direction of the General Manager and in coordination with the Production Manager. Work involves the planning, coordinating and supervising the activities of propagation personnel and establishing work organization to achieve production goals.
Examples of Work
- Schedules and manages the plant propagation staff and keeps detailed records to track crops and propagation methods.
- Responsibility for ordering and purchasing plants, seeds and propagation materials as needed.
- Manages staff to maintain liner stock and oversee the planting, maintenance and cultural needs of nursery crops in coordination with the Production Manager.
- Instructs and trains staff in job requirements, safety rules and use of equipment.
- Works with the Production Manager on irrigation and greenhouse issues and on production scheduling.
- Works with the Production Manager and General Manager on future crop planning. Performs related work as required.
Job Requirements and Duties
- Must have considerable knowledge of the methods, equipment and practices used in propagating and grafting a wide variety of indigenous and exotic plants.
- Must have the ability to supervise the work of unskilled and skilled employees in their department in a manner to promote high morale and excellent performance and must also work well with managers and employees in other departments.
- Must be able to converse and write in English and communicate in major local languages (Nyanja, Bemba).
- Must have the physical ability to cut and gather cutting stock, lift plants and materials and perform other basic nursery tasks.
- Must have basic computer skills for data entry and communication; experience with programs such as MS Excel, MS Word and MS Outlook is helpful.
- Required to project a positive image and will be called upon to attend and represent the company at meetings of professional organizations.
Mandatory experience. You have work experience with:
- Plant Propagation Management
- Potting pots for seedlings
- Planting stock (sowing)
- Record keeping
- Nursery cleanliness
- Plant hardening off areas
- Plant protection measures
- Weed control
- Measures against heat and cold
- Packing, storage and handling of nursery plants
- Management of mother plants
- Root and top pruning (schedule)
- Transplanting (schedule)
- Plant sorting, grading and handling.
- Growing plants, trees, and shrubs to use as stock.
- Monitoring watering times, soil conditions, and plant positions.
- Monitoring weather conditions and paying special attention to hot or cold temperatures.
- Pest control
- Fertilising Management (Manuring)
- Watering System Management (Irrigation (watering regime)
- Nursery Operations
- Overseeing and improving the daily functions of the nursery.
- Opening the nursery in the morning and closing at the end of the business day.
- Improving operational efficiency.
- Ensuring safety standards are followed.
- Enforcing, developing, and improving upon standard operating procedures.
- Identifying cost saving opportunities.
- Developing and using main tools for planning nursery operations:
- a nursery calendar to help plan necessary actions and purchases of seed, supplies and equipment.
- a plant development register for collecting species-specific information about seed treatment, germination requirements and duration, plant development, special requirements for potting substrate, watering, shading or disease control.
- a nursery inventory to keep track of the species and numbers of seedlings in different stages of development.
- a record of ongoing nursery experiments
- Supplies Management (Ordering nursery stock including soil, stones, fertilizers, shrubs, Plant containers (polythene pots, seed trays), seedling guides, plants, and trees).
- Seed Management (Seed collection, cleaning, drying, viability testing, processing, storage and handling, treatment, stock taking).
- Soil Management (Soil fumigation, ground preparation, compost production. Drainage ditches).
Diploma in Forestry/Agriculture from a recognised institution.
Minimum of 2 years of relevant professional experience.
Experience in grafting and nursery establishment is required.
Must know cultivation processes of indigenous plants.
Individuals meeting the above requirements should submit their letters of applications, accompanied by detailed CVs and copies of academic and professional certificates. Applicants are to include three (03) names and addresses of referees, two of whom should be professionally acquainted with the applicant. Electronic applications should be emailed to PropagationOfficer@plantamillion.com.
Closing Date : 9th July, 2021.