- Company: Mondo Farms Limited
- Location: Zambia
- State: Chongwe
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Agricultural Jobs in Zambia
DEPARTMENT & LOCATION
Winterthorn Farm – Chongwe District
Winterthorn Farm is a part of Mondo Farms Limited and has been established on a 50Ha site in Mulenje Village, Chongwe District. It is suitably located about 40 km east of Lusaka with relatively gently sloping land and with the Chongwe River as it’s southern boundary, providing water abstraction potential.
The promoters have established a successful commercial farming operation at Winterthorn Farm, with horticultural production as the main focus. They have also established a commercial tree plantation for the longer term horizon. Development of the farm will use appropriate land use management and water conservation techniques in order to mitigate the effects of climate change and land degradation.
The Farm Manager provides general production oversight and performs the overall day to day functions of planning, controlling, coordinating and organizing the production related activities of Winterthorn Farm which encompass close monitoring of all crops. In carrying out this function, the Farm Manager’s overall performance will be measured by his/ her ability to meet set budget objectives and production targets.
The primary responsibility will be to maximize the quality and yield of the various farm crops and/or animals, while minimizing the cost of inputs.
The job holder works in close liaison with the Managing Director to ensure timely availability of labour, supplies and other resources which require well-documented plans of action for the production periods. The job holder also ensures that remedial measures are taken to address product-related quality issues as well as excellent customer relations with regard to external business operation customers.
- Plans, monitors and schedules daily, weekly, monthly and annual farming activities to meet agreed targets.
- Supervises all farm employees and ensures that discipline is maintained at all times.
- Makes recommendations regarding employment in line with the seasonal demands of the farm.
- Liaises with the Managing Director to ensure the purchase of requisitions of production stock and monitors prudent use.
- Maintains various farm production records.
- Ensures all necessary bio-security precautions are taken to prevent outbreaks of crop diseases and pests.
- Recommends and initiates new income generating projects.
- Manages the process of carrying out minor repairs of farm equipment and machinery in consultation with the Managing Director.
- Manages the operations and servicing of farm machinery and tools as necessary.
- Ensures that the farm production premises and structures are kept in a neat and tidy condition.
- Carries out orientation and training of farm workers to ensure that they possess the necessary knowledge and skills.
- Ensures all farm workers adhere to the Health and Safety measures.
- Ensures there is security of farm property (fixed assets & tools) and enures security against fires and intruders.
- Provide timely feedback and regular reports to the Managing Director.
- Ensures land is cleared and prepared for timely planted of crops.
- Ensures there is appropriate soil fertility management.
- Facilitates and supervises the weeding and pruning of tree crops and also ensures soil irrigation.
- Performs other duties assigned from time to time.
KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE & PERSONAL COMPETENCIES
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Minimum of Diploma in Agriculture
- Two (2) years relevant farm work experience
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Computer literate
- Technical know-how in all areas of production
- A knowledge of food production and an awareness of customer demand, food standards and sustainability
- Ability to monitor and manage water resource of the farm and advise when necessary.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles
- Ability to manage a workforce consisting of individuals from different backgrounds and resolve problems and conflicts professionally
- Skill in the use of tools utilized in the repair of equipment and facilities
- Records maintenance skills
- Ability to effectively communicate complex information
- Ability to work under pressure
- Willingness to work beyond normal hours
- Willingness to be outside in all weathers and patience to undertake all sorts of practical, sometimes repetitive jobs
- Passionate, innovative, motivated and self-driven