- Company: African Parks
- Location: Zambia
- State: Zambia
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Administrative/Secretarial Jobs in Zambia
Position Title: Field Operations Manager
Reports to: Park Manager
Location: Kafue National Park
African Parks is a non-profit conservation organization that takes on the complete responsibility for the rehabilitation and long-term management of national parks in partnership with governments and local communities. We currently manage 20 national parks and protected areas in 11 countries covering over 17 million hectares in: Angola, Benin, Central African Republic, Chad, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mozambique, the Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To manage and/or oversee all internal park operations in the assigned section , including infrastructure development & maintenance, fleet (vehicle / aircraft / boats / etc) management, logistics, law enforcement implementation and limited refresher training and conservation activities.
- Assist in developing and implement a Sector Workplan & budget aligned with the park strategy and 5-year business plan;
- Monitor and revise the plan as required;
- Oversee assigned infrastructure development projects and maintenance programmes including to ensure effective budget management and cost control;
- Ensure adherence to procurement procedures (tenders, contracts); to ensure contractors/general staff execute all projects according to contracted terms.
- Oversee fleet management (vehicles / aircraft / boats / etc) including to ensure all relevant licenses / permits for all in place;
- Ensure Sector fleet is serviced, maintained according to a preventative maintenance schedule and operated to reduce cost and risk;
- Ensure fleet management team adequately equipped;
- Promote culture of safety in fleet management team;
- Ensure adequate stocks of spares, fuel and oil including the logistical arrangements thereof.
- Oversee all logistics, procurement, and stock control activities including sourcing suppliers & negotiating favourable terms and ensuring effective stock control and storage management system in place;
- Supporting the effective management, development and motivation of all law enforcement personnel and ensure necessary logistical support in place to enable LE function;
- Ensure LE team adequately equipped and all materials are regularly upgraded according to AP SOP’s;
- Ensure LE team adequately trained with external refresher, advanced and inhouse training as appropriate and in collaboration with the LE Advisor;
- Play a supportive and/or coordinating role in wildlife translocation projects as appropriate;
- Fly park aircraft for conservation, LE and other field operations;
- Provide field support to research partners, film crews, etc;
- Manage fire strategy as it pertains to the sector and ensure all equipment is well maintained in a state of readiness and staff is well trained and motivated to carry out fire management tasks;
- Ensure the Operations team is adequately resourced (financial, people, equipment, etc) to effectively meet their day-to-day operational requirements and ensure all Operations activities conducted in accordance with African Parks policies and
Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s);
- Build a strong values-based team culture in the Operations function;
- Provide accurate and meaningful reports on all park operations activities to the Park Manager within stipulated timeframes.
- Relevant tertiary qualification, for park operations/conservation/wildlife management or equivalent experience.
- 5-10 years working experience preferably in Protected Area Management, Construction, Logistics and Project management;
- Strong Law Enforcement background (security, operational and training) and understanding of current law enforcement practices;
- Pilot’s license is an advantage though not a requirement. A willingness to do this training would be advantageous;
- Experience in non-profit and/or parastatal organizations an advantage;
- Knowledge and experience of working in a rural, remote and multi-cultural environment;
- Fluent in English, written and spoken with strong report writing skills;
- Good communication skills – both upstream and downstream;
- Strong financial management skills and ability to budget effectively;
- Strong project management skills managing several teams at once with limited resources;
- Stakeholder relationship management skills – both towards local communities, tourism and business stakeholders and government partners;
- Adaptable to a complex working environment with multiple pressure points.
- Good physical fitness and an inclination towards field work;
- Trusted and disciplined person, able to work independently and showing a high level of respect for his staff with a demonstrated team approach to staff management;
- Appropriate tactical judgment in difficult situations;
- Mastery of communication tools and orientation (GPS, VHF digital, InReach);
- IT – Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.