About StrongMinds Zambia
StrongMinds (www.strongminds.org) Zambia (SMZ) is a fast growing and dynamic social enterprise, committed to improving the Mental Health of Women in Africa by providing life-changing mental health services to impoverished African women. StrongMinds was formed in 2013 with a mission to improve the mental health of women and girls in Africa.
Depression is one of the leading causes of disability in sub-Saharan Africa, debilitating women at twice the rate of men. Conservative estimates indicate 66 million women are suffering from depression in Africa and the World Health Organization reports that 85% of these women have no access to treatment. Our ambitious goal is to provide treatment to at least 300,000 women and girls suffering with depression in the next three years.
Following 5 successful years in Uganda, StrongMinds established its operations in Zambia in 2019, and in 2022 we will treat over 20,000 through a simple, evidence-based and cost-efficient model of group talk therapy, based on group interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT-G). StrongMinds recognizes that scale will only be achieved by prioritizing the integration of its proven group interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT-G) model through partnerships. We look to do this both within Government structures such as the Ministry of Health and through medium and large international non-governmental organizations (INGOs).
Job Purpose and Context of Role
StrongMinds Zambia has grown from a small team of just 10 staff in 2019, to ending 2022 with a staff team of over 40 and 200 volunteers driving work on the ground. With aggressive expansion expected in 2023 and beyond, these numbers are anticipated to double, and with that, SMZ is looking to appoint its first HR Manager to drive the HR function and ensure that SMZ is an employer of choice for all its staff and volunteers involved in the organization.
The HR Manager will be expected to take responsibility of the Human Resource Function by developing, reviewing and implementation of strategies, policies and procedures for attraction, development and retention of talent that supports achievement of SMZ strategic goals and objectives. The job holder will be expected to provide leadership and direction in conjunction with the Country Director on all HR issues whilst balancing with the need to deliver effective day to day administrative people services. The HR Manager sits on the Leadership Team of SMZ and is expected to be an active and collaborative colleague, providing technical leadership on all matters relating to HR, and contributing to the overall strategic direction of SMZ.
Specific Tasks: (Key Areas of Accountability)
1. Strategy delivery:
- Be the lead in collaboratively conceptualising, designing, and implementing the people strategy to meet the Country Office programmatic needs in relation to the SM global people strategy.
- Nurture an organizational culture that continues to reflect our values, promotes accountability and high performance, encourages a team culture of learning, creativity, and innovation, and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results.
- Develop the annual HR Budget in relation to approved strategic milestones and monitor spending to ensure budget compliance.
- Develop, review, and implement Human Resource strategies, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance to the SM global policy and culture as well as national labour laws. Regularly, orient and sensitize staff on policies to ensure their participation and compliance.
- Support the Country Director in board development activities i.e preparation of the quarterly updates on people initiatives and performance as well as implementation of related actions required or proposed by the board.
- Oversee standardized HR processes throughout the country office, assist in the development of localized procedures as required
- Champion Gender Equity and Diversity initiatives and staff wellness/well-being programs.
- Champion safeguarding in the country office ensuring prevention of harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse in the country office.
2. Operational HR Management:
- Ensure efficient recruitment and staffing to meet programmatic and operations needs of the country office.
- Ensure effective onboarding, induction and orientation of staff.
- Ensure staff exits are appropriate managed.
- Work closely with the Country Director to manage and coordinate grievance management and disciplinary proceedings involving any staff member and recommend appropriate action to resolve disputes.
- Develop best practices in HR management, provide guidance to line managers and staff on employee relations to ensure fairness in the management of staff
- Provide direction in the annual HR planning process and prioritize activities for the HR department including manpower planning (staffing and country office structure) learning and development and resources allocation.
- Ensure that all contracts i.e., employment, insurance and consultancy, adequately comply with StrongMinds policy, local laws and donor requirements.
- Track audit reports on HR matters, support the Country Director in the follow up and implementation of any audit action points.
- Ensure that all staff records submitted to HR department are complete, accurate and up to date with relevant information, ensure that these records are entered into the HRIS and updated on a regular basis.
- Ensure that staff use the HRIS as designed for key functions e.g. probation, performance, leave and timesheet management.
3. Staff Development and Performance Management:
- Supervise the implementation of staff development programmes and ensure talent development, succession planning and management.
- Advise on staff training and learning needs and support the implementation of both formal and non-formal staff training and learning programs.
- Support the implementation of a robust performance management system in the country office to achieve program quality and operational efficiency.
- In liaison with the Country Director, SMT and the global director of people, develop and implement a system that rewards exceptional performance and corrects poor performance for improved staff motivation
- Assist the Country Director in building leadership capacity, ensuring that SMZ identifies potential successors for key leadership roles, working to ensure that they are assisted to perform well and to grow the capacity of their teams through initiating and implementing various development initiatives.
4. Remuneration & Benefits:
- Facilitate implementation of staff welfare and benefits schemes that promotes motivation and retention of staff and are in line with legal and contractual requirements
- Work with the Finance Manager to review the private health insurance scheme on an annual basis, initiate discussions that resolve any issues that may arise or are continually raised by staff.
- Ensure an appropriate compensation and benefits package linked to performance management.
- Oversee salary and benefits administration issues to ensure that relevant policies are being adhered to.
- Equity in administration of salaries ensuring compliance to the established salary grading structure.
- Sign correspondences regarding human resources and management matters as per defined signing authority.
- Review and approve Payrolls
COMPETENCIES (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Behaviors)
Education & Professional Affiliation
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Organizational Development or Organizational Psychology. Master’s degree in Human Resources Management or other related field is an added advantage.
- Membership and registration with the Zambia Institute of Human Resource Management with possession of the required practising certificate.
Job related experience, knowledge and skills
- The right to live and work in Zambia with unrestricted access.
- Fluent spoken Nyanja, Bemba and English.
- 5- 8 years’ progressive experience in HR practice both at strategic and operational level
- Excellent leadership, strategic planning, critical thinking, change management, policy formulation, persuasive & relation building
- Excellent management and administrative skills
- Ability to establish and maintain conducive collegial relations and perform effectively as a member of a team.
- Proven ability to work with a team under minimal supervision and being able to prioritize work and meet tight deadlines.
- Confidentiality and interpersonal skills
- Technical employment legislation knowledge
- Planning, budgeting, reporting, presentation skills
- Ability to tactfully Influence /negotiate while appreciating differences in opinion
- Communication, networking, and people management skills
- Strong analytical, advisory, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Capacity to Train/mentor others
The Human Resources Manager will also be expected to be a strong model of StrongMinds’ core values:
- We are people focused.
- We think big and act fast.
- We are data-driven.
- We do what we say and say what we do.
- We believe in collaboration, not competition.
Please send your application letter (outlining why you want to work for StrongMinds Zambia as our Human Resource Manager, why you believe you are a great fit for the role based on the Detailed Job Description and your salary expectations) and a maximum 2 page CV only which should clearly highlight how your experience directly relates to the HR Manager role (attached as one document) indicating 3 professional referees, two of whom should have been direct supervisors to email@example.com by 5th December, 2022 at 9a.m. Zambia time. Please clearly indicate HR Manager Application in the subject line.
StrongMinds Zambia is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates are therefore encouraged to apply at the earliest opportunity; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
StrongMinds is committed to prioritizing the safety and well-being of children and young people, therefore all successful applicants will be required to sign onto our safeguarding/CP policy, code of conduct & complete a Police check.